Bottles won't condition. Help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cublue

Reaction score
Hello all, and thank you in advance for any help.
So on August 1 I bottled a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde, I added 3/4 cup of corn sugar, let them condition above 70, and they still taste green and are flat. I have been told to add more yeast, but am curious if it is a priming sugar issue, because I was adding by volume, not weight ( I have since corrected this error).
If it needs yeast, how does one add this after the fact? Dump the bottles back in the bucket?
If it is sugar, is just adding carbination tabs ok?
Could it be both?
I have also tried to RWAHAHB, but my patience is at an end.
Thanks!

Do not dump the beer out and start over as you will oxidize the beer and ruin it.

If you under primed then you
May just need more time, adding more yeast will not do it if the sugars present were already consumed. I would wait another couple few weeks easily!

If you still get nothing after another month you can always add some carb tabs to each bottle and re-cap.

Uh, oh, I think I hear Revvy approaching...........,

Thanks for the advice!
Patience was never my strong suit and it is mucking up my pipeline :). It is funny, I have since made a brown and it is delicious and almost drinkable...

And I am sure this has not registered on Revvy's radar, as it has nothing to do with white house ale! ;)

That sounds like enough sugar, but taste it next time and see if it still tastes sweet. If so, then get some dry yeast (Safale 05 is a safe bet), pop each cap, add just a pinch of yeast and recap. It may take another 3-4 weeks to carbonate but that should do it. I had the same problem with an ESB and this did the trick.

Thanks for the .02!
I have one PET bottle that I added a carb tab to, and just picked up a pack of s05 from Brew Hut. Gonna let both sit for a bit. Curious if the dry yeast would be better, or to add from washed nottingham. So frustrated....
At least the brown ale I did right after is almost ready!

Latest posts

Back