bottles laying on side ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I bottled 7 gallons in 25 ounce champagne bottles and 22 ounce bombers last night. Storage is an issue, so I put them in some wine racks.

They are laying down. Is this an issue?

I know that sediment will form on the bottom wall of the bottles, but prior to chilling I'll bonk them a bit and then stand them upright in the fridge.

Well, yeah, they'll have to sit upright many days.
No wine bottle cases to stack, so these are in a wine rack? You might be able to get empty wine case boxes from a local restaurant for free.

Otherwise, be gentle when bonking and give yourself time, and there shouldn't be any issues doing it this way.

If you can let them stand upright until they carb (then lay them gently into the wine rack) that'll help avoid getting unsightly sediment cruft along the edge of the bottle.

What SumnerH said may help with some highly flocculating yeasts, but in my experience any movement (laying down to upright) causes the yeast to stir (as previously alluded to) and cause an eruption when opened.

It is best if you placed them in the fridge for a couple of days to allow time for the yeast/sediment to fall back to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back