Bottles from a Redemption Center??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Does anyone here get their bottles from a Redemption center?? My local one only charges 7 cents a bottle and I can take whatever ones I want.. For those that do this how do you clean them?? Soak and then scrub like crazy?? I am trying to decide if I want to buy a case from them (for under 2 dollars) or if I should buy a case of beer and just finish it off :rockin:

SpamDog

soak and scrub them and they will be fine. make sure they aren't any cracks in them as well. but the alternative of buying beer and using those bottles sounds good to!

I traded homebrew for bottles at my local redemption center. But they didn't come with boxes and six-pack cartons. The girls that worked there were so thirsty that all I had to do was hold the box, they did all the dumpster diving.

I use bleach for my sanitizing. Plus a bottle brush in my 12v Makita cordless. The pita is getting the labels off, and the limes out of the Pacifica bottles.

Martinelli's cider bottles do take caps. Good for hard cider, or un-hopped concoctions...

Oh yeah - I have bought a lot of bottles from my local bottle depot. They were actually friendly enough to stockpile Grolsch swing-cap bottles for me. I have bought over 400 of them for next to nothing.

Here is my method for cleaning that involves almost no scrubbing. First, rinse every bottle (especially the really grungy ones) with a bottle washer. Then soak them in a combination of TSP and bleach overnight. That should dissolve almost anything in them. Third, rinse REALLY well with a bottle washer. Then sanitize as usual (I use Star-San).

If I get some really stubborn bottles, I use a bottle brush in the chuck of my cordless drill after they have soaked for a couple days in TSP and bleach. Oh, I should also mention that I have also started using Oxyclean, which seems to work just as well as TSP and bleach, in case you can't find TSP.

Thanks everyone... I am going to have to head over there when I get some free time.. I think I am going to be picky as I can.. I usually drink Sam Adams and have heard those bottles are very good.. also (being in vermont) I drink LongTrail and the bottles look identical excepting the script writing on the Sam's.. So I think those will be the ones I look for... That and any Grolsch bottles.. Guess I just wanted to be sure that people didn't think there was an issue with using other peoples old bottles..(some of the people up here are questionable as far as hygene goes)

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
Thanks everyone... I am going to have to head over there when I get some free time.. I think I am going to be picky as I can.. I usually drink Sam Adams and have heard those bottles are very good.. also (being in vermont) I drink LongTrail and the bottles look identical excepting the script writing on the Sam's.. So I think those will be the ones I look for... That and any Grolsch bottles.. Guess I just wanted to be sure that people didn't think there was an issue with using other peoples old bottles..(some of the people up here are questionable as far as hygene goes)
SpamDog

Never heard that before.. :D

If you are of a certain age, you have drank BMC from re-used bottles. I don't know if they still do- do the bars get pop-off long necks in heavy duty boxes anymore?

Back