Bottled Saturday, gushers on Monday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I did a small test batch of a Berliner Weisse, and didn't take any hydro readings. It was in primary for two weeks. I keg, and forgot the importants of making sure the yeast is done.
I opened one today to check the flavor (I added lactic acid at bottleing time), not expecting any carbonation, the thing gushed out. tried another, same thing.

These are gonna become bombs if left alone aren't they?
Will refridgeerating them stop it?

It tastes great, I hate to lose it/

Hard for me to say if they will get worse or just give you a batch of foamy bottles. However if you get them cold and keep them that way it should settle the yeast down and and keep them from exploding if they are going to build that much co2

Did you chill them before opening? It could just be warm beer... Put one in the fridge before you go to work, and check it when you come home. Place the others in a rubbermaid or something and store at a moderately cool 60 or so (70 is good for carbing, but since we're worried about bottle bombs at the moment, the cooler temp will slow it down without making the yeast almost totally dormant in the fridge).

Did you chill them before opening? It could just be warm beer... Put one in the fridge before you go to work, and check it when you come home. Place the others in a rubbermaid or something and store at a moderately cool 60 or so (70 is good for carbing, but since we're worried about bottle bombs at the moment, the cooler temp will slow it down without making the yeast almost totally dormant in the fridge).

They were warm. I put a couple in the fridge last night, and I'll check them this evening. I put the rest in my fermentor at 62*.

Once chilled, it didn't foam over. It did carbonate in 2-3 days though, which has me worried.

I'd play it safe and move then into a fridge, or at least a plastic tote with a lid. Sounds like you might be bottled too early.

As long as you're happy with the carbing. Glad it sounds like you should have some drinkable beer, sin glass :tank:

Back