Bottled, but not carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cox8611

Reaction score
I completed my first AG in early June, and it has been bottled ~10 days and i like to get a little taster before i wait another 3-4 weeks before i open another. It gave a small fssst as i opened it but open pouring and noticing the bottom of the bottle, there was few if any yeast in the bottom.

How often does anyone experience being undercarbonated? To answer a couple of preliminary questions:
1) Yes, the fill line in the bottle was correct
2) None of my other brews have acted this way

I have two lines of thought on this one. I left for one weekend and forgot to turn on the AC in the house, and the beer in the pantry might have suffered... got home on saturday and it was a lovely 85 F in the house...:( Could this have killed my yeast?

Other thought was not getting the nutrients in the wort for the yeast to stay alive long enough to stay viable through to bottling (~4 weeks).

And last question, how many people resuspend new yeast as they bottle to ensure good carbonation? And if so, do i ramp down the pitching rates since most of the sugars/nutrients are used up from the primary fermentation?

Any help would be great! The beer has potential but i want to know whether i'm going to have to take my lumps and drink a flat batch!

....it has been bottled ~10 days and i like to get a little taster before i wait another 3-4 weeks before i open another. It gave a small fssst as i opened it but open pouring and noticing the bottom of the bottle, there was few if any yeast in the bottom.

That's the reason it's not carbed, it's only been 10 days!!!!!!!

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Reason i posted is that my previous batches (all extract) all were carbonated around the 1-2 week time period, the flavors haven't really melded. I was curious on the lack of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and whether or not enough of the yeast was still suspended in the green beer to carb correctly considering my past experience.

Thanks for the tips!

Reason i posted is that my previous batches (all extract) all were carbonated around the 1-2 week time period, the flavors haven't really melded. I was curious on the lack of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and whether or not enough of the yeast was still suspended in the green beer to carb correctly considering my past experience.

Thanks for the tips!

My beers end up with very little sediment on the bottom, that comes from month long primaries, but the beers carb just fine. If you've ever had a bottle conditioned micro you will find that in those with sediment, the amount varies as well. Size of sediment in a bottle really is not a good indicator of carbonation.

Back