Bottled Beer Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackDatBoi

Reaction score
Hello all!

So I've bottled my first batch of IPA and have been letting them stand for 8 days in a dark place which has been a constant 20 degrees, I'm wondering if this is ok for the beer or if theres anything I'm doing wrong?

Also, I was thinking of leaving the beer stand for around a month before refrigerating a few bottles, I made them for Christmas, so they'll be sitting around for another few months, does this effect the beer standing where they are now until December?

Cheers

Jack

IMG_5585.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg

Hello all!

So I've bottled my first batch of IPA and have been letting them stand for 8 days in a dark place which has been a constant 20 degrees, I'm wondering if this is ok for the beer or if theres anything I'm doing wrong?

Also, I was thinking of leaving the beer stand for around a month before refrigerating a few bottles, I made them for Christmas, so they'll be sitting around for another few months, does this effect the beer standing where they are now until December?

Cheers

Jack

Those bottles seem to be exposed to lots of light. Maybe cover them with a towel or small blanket.

20C is a good temperature. I would put them in a box to keep all light off them. Uv light can "skunk" the beer making it nasty tasting, or even undrinkable.

20C is a good temperature. I would put them in a box to keep all light off them. Uv light can "skunk" the beer making it nasty tasting, or even undrinkable.

To be honest, I'd be more worried about 20C than the UV risk in brown bottles. Cooler would be better - traditional cellar temperature is 12-14C (and is quite achievable in a garage in autumn in the kind of countries that use metric...) but cooler than that is even better - but a stable temperature is also important.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to put them in a box or in a cupboard.

I see you've got some cardboard down which is a start, I'm paranoid enough that I like to put them either in a plastic box or in a box on a tray, which means that if I get any bottle bombs, the liquid is contained. Not been a problem so far, but I'm a bit paranoid....

thanks for the advice! I've covered them with a jumper, so there's no more light hitting them. Unfortunately I don't think I have anywhere that's cooler and is steady...

What is the recommended length of time to leave bottled beer before you can refrigerate it and taste it?

Typically you'd let the bottles go 2-3 weeks to carbonate, then put in refrigerator for 24-48 hours and then....enjoy!

I want to note one thing. You say this is an IPA you've brewed for Christmas. IPAs are best drunk fresh; over time you can expect hop flavor and aroma to fade.

Those bottles will sit there for nearly 4 months total; if I were you, I'd start drinking them after refrigerating, and consider doing another batch at the end of November.

3 weeks @70F, 1 week in fridge. Also gives time for the beer to clear adequately. After that, preferably a cool, dark place. Priming for bottling essentially creates a "mini" fermentation with the priming sugar, so the conditioning temp should be as close to original ferm temp as possible to be as effective as possible. Too cool or too warm and they might not condition within a reasonable time.

Someone mentioned the time frame for consuming an IPA should be sooner than later. Generally speaking, this is true, especially with fresh hops. However, it depends somewhat upon the ABV, whether extract or AG, and storage conditions. The fresher the hops, the quicker they tend to lose taste/aroma. In contrast, extract IPAs I have brewed with pelletized hops have hung around up to 10 months with no loss of initial hop aroma/taste. It was 'good to the last drop'. :D

Thanks for the heads up! Giving that September is almost over, they most probably will be stored as they are now for around 3/half months until my guests arrive, so fingers crossed they'll survive until then :D

Sounds good :D Thanks for the advice! I've got another 3 and a half months left, so fingers crossed they taste good..

I use cardboard boxes - most brews are fine to drink in 1 week - and much better in 3 weeks - but go downhill at 5 weeks (apart from porters which last much longer)

To be honest, I'd be more worried about 20C than the UV risk in brown bottles. Cooler would be better - traditional cellar temperature is 12-14C (and is quite achievable in a garage in autumn in the kind of countries that use metric...) but cooler than that is even better - but a stable temperature is also important.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to put them in a box or in a cupboard.

I see you've got some cardboard down which is a start, I'm paranoid enough that I like to put them either in a plastic box or in a box on a tray, which means that if I get any bottle bombs, the liquid is contained. Not been a problem so far, but I'm a bit paranoid....

Cooler might be good AFTER they are fully bottle conditioned. Too cool before that and they may never carbonate.

I keep all my bottles in the basement, it ranges between 65 and 70F year round. I have never had any issues with storing my bottles at that temperature.

20C is 68 degrees F. About 70 degrees for 3 weeks is the excepted temperature and time for proper bottle conditioning.

Unless you get an infection or over prime you should not be too worried about bottle bombs. In the approximately 2,500 beers that I have bottled 100 were slightly over carbonated and only one bottle got an infection. That one was just slightly sour. Not one bottle bomb.

Latest posts

Back