Bottled beer = no CO2 yet :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
I just opened up a bottle of my apricot ale after 8 days in primary and about 10 days in secondary. SG was a little bit above 1.06 and it dropped down to 1.012 or so and stayed there for a few days before I bottled. Now after being in the bottle for just over a week, I'm getting no CO2 bubbles, no head, no noise when I crack the bottle cap off! I know I am supposed to wait 3 weeks at 70 degrees but I expected at least some CO2 build up! Am I impatient or do I have a problem? Thoughts? Beer tastes great though for being flat.

haha I just read that post but I'm still freaking out man! I think i need to brew up another batch to distract me...

It's perfectly normal for bottles not to show signs of carbonation after a week. I'd just leave them alone, but if you want to, you can turn the bottles upside down a couple of times to stir up the yeast.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you used priming sugar when bottling? Revvy's for sure right about 3 weeks, but I can honestly say that every beer I've brewed has had SOME type of carbonation after a week in the bottles. Not to worry you, still stick with the three week plan, but I just wanted to make sure you primed the beers too!

Back