Bottle vs Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do they taste different? There are many things that can cause flavor differences:

1. Different carb levels
2. Oxidation in the bottle
3. Dirty bottles or keg causing infection or off flavors
4. Where the bottles stored in a cool dark area

I split batches like that all the time and I don't notice a difference. However, a few reasons for that could be:

- I don't do it with lighter-bodied, less robustly flavored beers where the difference might be more apparent.

- My bottled beers don't sit around very long before they are consumed.

- I do not cut corners on sanitizing when I bottle.

Waunabeer said:
How do they taste different? There are many things that can cause flavor differences:

1. Different carb levels
2. Oxidation in the bottle
3. Dirty bottles or keg causing infection or off flavors
4. Where the bottles stored in a cool dark area

1. What type of taste would carb levels give off?
2. What does oxidation taste like?
3. Bottles were clean
4. Bottles I stored in closet In same place I ferment in winter time! 68f and dark

It is a rye pale ale (IPA) and doesn't taste as good as the keg'd version! I've noticed the same difference at microbrewery's! It always taste better keg'd!
This maybe a rumor but I heard commercial beers have a modified recipe for bottle beer vs keg'd beer! Any truth to that?
Thanks for the input:)

PVH said:
I split batches like that all the time and I don't notice a difference. However, a few reasons for that could be:

- I don't do it with lighter-bodied, less robustly flavored beers where the difference might be more apparent.

- My bottled beers don't sit around very long before they are consumed.

- I do not cut corners on sanitizing when I bottle.

It all makes sense, I notice it more in light bodied brews!!

Back