Bottle to Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mng8r

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the topic when searching, but is there any issue transferring beer currently in bottles to a keg? The reason I ask is that I have a case or so of NB Karl's 90 schilling that I bottled in September and it's still not carbed, well not consistently. Some bottles are fine, but others are really under carbed. Because of this I moved to kegging and kegged my last beer (NB Caribou Slobber) and it turned out great. So I'm thinking about transferring the remaining Karl's 90 beer from the bottles to a keg, clearing the head space of oxygen and then carbing it like any other beer.

There's no reason in theory it won't work, though certainly it'll be hard to do without a lot of oxygen exposure. If you're planning to drink it quickly, that's not necessarily a problem.

The main concern is, of course, oxidation. Before pouring the bottled beers into the keg, hook up the CO2, leave the lid off and slowly let a trickle of CO2 flow into the keg for a couple minutes to get as much of the air out of the keg as possible.

Back