Bottle taste vs. Keg taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn_bird

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed something on my bottled beers over the years that drives me nuts and I'm ready to figure this out. I do well at competitions, and I feel all of my practices are solid, but I notice that whenever I bottle for competition, the beers taste more bitter to me than in the keg. What do you think could be causing this? Like I said, they still score well, but if I pour a bottled beer (bottled using beer gun) next to the keg beer, they are different.
Thoughts?
And thanks for the help in advance.

Sounds like oxidation.
Are you purging bottles of air with CO2 before and after filling? Capping on foam? Activating oxygen-absorbing bottle caps immediate before or after bottling?

Us bottle primers have a big advantage reducing bottle oxidation because the yeast are quite good at removing dissolved oxygen.

You could consider using sulfite if you are otherwise unable to reduce oxidation.

Back