Bottle Sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, bottling.

If you've made it this fa without contamination, it seems this could ruin everything.

How can you properly sterilize a flip top- type bottle without ruining the gasket ?

Just a simple bleach solution rinse? If so- how about the gasket? does this need a dousing as well?

More specific questions on later parts of the process that Im yet to delve into ...

I sanitize all my bottles in my dishwasher, as it has a sanitize cycle. I remove the rubber gaskets from swing tops and soak them in iodophor for about 15 minutes, then rinse with boiled and cooled water. I just use hand sanitizer before reattaching the gaskets immediately prior to bottling.

You could go that route, but there are going to be people on both sides of the 'bleach' argument...

Do you have Star-San or Iodophor?

If not, you can run the bottles through the dishwasher w/o detergent and use the "Heated Wash" cycle w/ hot drying...

I am sure there will be more answers for you shortly...

Good luck!

:mug:

I used my spray bottle of starsan. Poke it in the neck of the bottle and it sprays the entire inside down. Drain out the excess and it's ready to go.

I fill my sink with a solution of star san. I have 4 bottles in the sink at any given time. Those bottles taken out of the sink go into the top rack of my dishwasher (previously sprayed with star san solution). While that is all happening I am filling 4 bottles at a time. For my own purposes I find it as efficient as I can get it.

Lose the bleach. It can have nasty effects on beer.

+200 on getting some no-rinse like iodophor or especially star san.

I bake mine. 3hrs at 350 with some foil on top results in 100% sterilization and can be kept sterile for up to a month. I just put them in a day or so before, let them cool overnight, then pull them out as I'm using them. As long as eash one is covered in foil, they will stay perfectly sterile until you bottle in them.

For my last batch I picked up one of the bottle trees with the Vinator attachment.

Spray the tree down with starsan. Filly the Vinator with Star san. I gave the bottles an oxyclean soaking the day before and a good rinse. After that I gave each bottle a couple squirts from the vinator and hung it on the tree. Super easy! I'm actually not dreading bottling day now!

StarSan

No Rinse Sanitation

StarSan

No heat to destroy gaskets.

StarSan

I
love.gif
StarSan.

Vinator + no-rinse sanitizer.

I dunk the top of my bottles in the vinator reservoir before squirting, so this would get the gasket clean.

"she was a brew machine
she kept her gasket clean
made the clearest fined beer
that I ever seen"

(apologies to AC/DC)

I just rinse flip top bottles under the hot tap, and dry the top of the bottle and the rubber with a kleenex tissue (new one for each bottle). If bottles have a "tide" mark on the inner neck I remove it with a bleach soaking and rinse away with ten cold rinses and five hot rinses.

FWIW, I run my flip-tops through the dishwasher, gaskets and all. They hold up just fine. I emailed the folks at EZ-Cap, and they assured me it wasn't a problem.

While I keg four out of five batches, when I do bottle the dishwasher approach works great. I just set up shop on the open door with the bottling bucket on the counter above, and reach for bottles from the rack as I need them. I'll cover the door with empty bottles, and cap them en masse once they're all filled.

Has anyone ever used B Brite in place of dish washer detergent on a sanitizing cycle? I would think you could get the best of both worlds that way.

Regards
Zeek

Latest posts

Back