Bottle Priming Cider using 100% Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaymond

Reaction score
First, my apologies if this has already been answered o. The forum, the search function gave me some results, but didnt necessarily answery question. Ok, ider gurus, tell me if I am wrong in my thinking or if my math is bad.

I am going to make a sparkling cider using a similar recipe to Unicorn Blood. All gravity checks have taken place, and I am hovering at about 1.000. I used an ale yeast, so I'm fairly confident that my fermentation is complete, and it has stayed consistent for a week. I would like to bottle with apple juice as my primer, not table sugar.

I typically use 2/3 cup sugar to prime my ciders per 5 gallons. This gives me my preferred bubbly-ness. 2/3 cup is about 32 teaspoons of sugar. Table sugar is 4g of sugar per teaspoon, putting me at about 128 grams per 2/3 cup of sugar. My Juice is 26g of sugar per serving. One serving is 8 oz. This would put me at roughly 40 oz. of juice to give me 128g of sugar for priming.

Does this look correct? Am I off? I do not want to blow up all my bottles. Any input is appreciated. If it can't be done, I will simply use sugar for priming. Thanks in advance!

Close. Because of the volume of juice you're adding you need to factor the new volume that you need to prime. You would need 168 grams or so for the new volume. You may find it easier to prime with apple juice concentrate, one can should do. Thaw it first, the mix it in, and you'll still have room in your bottling bucket

Back