Bottle or Keg a Stout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugster

Well-Known, Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The better half of me tells me to bottle the stout for conditioning but part of me wants to put this on tap (after it has conditioned in a keg)??? And, if I do put it on tap, do I need a stout tap or would a regular tap be fine?

Kug

Do what ever you'd like. You don't "need" a stout faucet, just don't expect a creamy head, etc. I've kegged stouts in the past with a normal faucet no problems.

Better half just received a package from MicroMatic via FedEx and she won't let me open it (hehehe :ban:). I am picking up a beer gas tank this week and starting an Imperial Stout cause I know it's my Stout Tap I asked for, for Christmas :cross:.

I have never bottled my beer, so I can't really offer any advice on your question, but you can assume from above what my take would be.

Salute! :mug:

Better half just received a package from MicroMatic via FedEx and she won't let me open it (hehehe :ban:). I am picking up a beer gas tank this week and starting an Imperial Stout cause I know it's my Stout Tap I asked for, for Christmas :cross:.

Be sure to pout a lot around the th.....about not having one.

do both, half in bottles half in keg. enjoy your kegged stout, while bottles condition.

Do what ever you'd like. You don't "need" a stout faucet, just don't expect a creamy head, etc. I've kegged stouts in the past with a normal faucet no problems.

I don't even think the head suffers very much. While you do lose the cascade effect after the pour, you can still definitely get a nice head on a stout without a stout faucet.

I say keg it, then bottle from the keg. It's the best of both worlds.

I don't even think the head suffers very much. While you do lose the cascade effect after the pour, you can still definitely get a nice head on a stout without a stout faucet.

I say keg it, then bottle from the keg. It's the best of both worlds.

Wasn't meaning to make it sound like you wouldn't have any head, just not that creamy Guinness style nitro pushed head.

Wasn't meaning to make it sound like you wouldn't have any head, just not that creamy Guinness style nitro pushed head.

understood...one day I will get to nitro...but for now I think I will keg it...and then bottle...wasn't sure if there were any benifits of bottling or not.

Thanks for the input ya'll

Cheers!

ok, instead of starting a new thread, i'll ask on here since its related.

if i were to keg the stout, could i carb it with co2, then push it with the mix, or do i carb it with the mx? how does that work?

or should i carb it with sugar and then push it with the mix?

You can carb with CO2 or dextrose, and THEN switch over to beer gas mix for serving. Cheers!

I carb / condtion my stouts for 2 weeks at 10 psi using CO2. After 2 weeks, I hook up my beergas line @ 30 psi and start dispensing through my stout faucet. In my opinion, a stout is best served through a dedicated faucet with beergas - at least that's the way I prefer them! YMMV

- GL63

Back