Bottle of Christmas beer went boom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fj3fury

Reaction score
Had six liters of a Brewferm Christmas beer aging for about a week after bottling, woke up and bottom blew out of one of the EZ-Bottles. I think I'll stick the others in the fridge to kill off the carbonation in the rest. :(

Fj3fury said:
Had six liters of a Brewferm Christmas beer aging for about a week after bottling, woke up and bottom blew out of one of the EZ-Bottles. I think I'll stick the others in the fridge to kill off the carbonation in the rest. :(

How much priming sugar did you use?

I used a table spoon in each. I usually mix a 1/4 cup in the bottling bucket, but the spigot broke and I had to siphon from carboy to bottle directly.

Fj3fury said:
I used a table spoon in each. I usually mix a 1/4 cup in the bottling bucket, but the spigot broke and I had to siphon from carboy to bottle directly.

Well you should never use volume when measuring priming sugar. Volume with sugar has variable mass but a gram is a gram is a gram.

And I'm just going to go out on a limb and say a tablespoon is too much for (what I'm assuming) 12oz bottles.

A tablespoon per bottle is WAY too much. There are 16 tablespoons in a cup, so that would be over 3 cups in a 5 gallon batch. I don't bottle very often, but when I do, I weigh it. I bottled a batch last weekend, and I'd venture a guess to say that it took less than a cup for 4 oz of dextrose. So, I'd guess that you have at least 3X the amount of sugar in your bottles than a normal level.

I was using the one liter size bottles. Still it seems I used way too much... smeg.

There are 16 tablespoons in a cup, so that would be over 3 cups in a 5 gallon batch.

I was using the one liter size bottles. Still it seems I used way too much... smeg.

Assuming 16 Tbs in a cup is correct, you used about a quarter cup for a gallon (or roughly 2 ozs). Way too much. This assumes you used level tablespoons; if they were rounded ......

You might want to drink them today.

Back