Bottle "Frost" - What is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So,

I did a quick search and gave up... came to my friends here.

I decided to pour out some beers last night that have been laying around for 6-12 months to reuse the bottles. I thoroughly rinsed the bottles, capping with my thumb and shaking with hot water, and then set them up on the tree.

This afternoon, I started to move the bottles to temp storage and noticed a "frost" on some of the bottles (see below) You can see it exists only where the beer touched the glass. I think most of these were from a dark belgian I did a year ago.

What is this exactly? I brushed/cleaned a few bottles and I'm sure some B-Brite soak would take care of it, but what is it?

Bottle_Frost.jpg

It took me a second to realize that you were holding an empty bottle. It looks like the beer took the pigment out of the glass! Wierd.

Looks as if there was something in there that cleaned/polished the glass and maybe even took some colour off. You bottle an IIPA in there ;)?

My bet is with conpewter, looks like mineral deposits. Do you have any Star San around? That, or vinegar should remove it.

I've seen exactly the same thing on some of my bottles. Can't figure it out. It cleans up fine with oxyclean/brush, but makes you wonder WTF. It was on a string of consecutive batches last year and I haven't seen it since. One of the batches might have been infected, but I know the other batches were not. Bottles were very old, maybe beerstone? I've started kegging since then :ban: so I don't worry about it too much anymore but I wish I knew what it was.

The real easy way to tell if it's beerstone is to put a bit of diluted muriatic acid in the bottle and see if it fizzes on contact. Vinegar fizzes too, but it takes a while to react.

Latest posts

Back