Bottle from Keg. Drink within a day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_dwiz

Reaction score
So I want to take some of my freshly kegged beer to a friends house. If I am going to drink it within a day, is it necessary to purge the bottles? Or can I just fill and cap the bottles to take?

So I want to take some of my freshly kegged beer to a friends house. If I am going to drink it within a day, is it necessary to purge the bottles? Or can I just fill and cap the bottles to take?

I never purge the bottles and they are fine for a few weeks (never kept much longer than that). I use a length of hose to the bottom of bottle, fill to top then slowly remove and cap on foam. Not much O2 remains.

I only purge bottles if I'm sending them into a competition or if I'm going to be storing them for awhile before drinking, like a big stout. I always just fill them like Geoff said with a long enough hose to fill from the bottom of the bottle if you're consuming pretty quickly.

Cap on foam. Certainly if you're going to drink them within a day, it won't matter much, but i always cap on foam regardless.

And yes, growlers are a more convenient form than bottles, usually. There even is a half-growler that you can get as well. They're a pretty good intermediate size between bottle and growler.

Back