Bottle flat beer (to be bottle carbed) from keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
I was thinking about going from the carboy to a keg with boiled/cooled DME in it and then bottling from that.

My reasons would be
1) Less oxidation by purging the keg with co2 before transferring flat beer to it
2) Easier to mix DME into solution without oxidizing , see #1
3) Easier to bottle , can do it in my sink instead of bent down on the ground spilling beer all over the kitchen floor.

I'd probably set this pressure nice and low, just a couple of PSI.

Any thoughts if this would work?

Yep, I do it all the time. You can pick up the keg and shake it too to make sure all the priming sugar gets mixed in with the beer.

I use the BMBF type method for filling then, but without the stopper as it is not needed. You can run the pressure at 15-20 psi as the beer is flat and shouldn't foam.

I also have a separate 5 lb tank that I have a splitter hooked to with one end to attach to the keg and one hose with a picnic tap on it to purge my bottles before filling.

awesome, thanks. I don't have the setup to purge each bottle yet, but will give that a try next time.

Yeah, it works great. I typically only bottle my bigger/vintage type beers. I have found that keeping up with the line maintenance on a beer that you will only drink once or twice a month is too much of a PITA, and I would rather just bottle them.

Latest posts

Back