Bottle despite layering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syke0021

Reaction score
After eight weeks in secondary, I am about to bottle my Belgian Tripel. However, after moving the carboy, I noticed that there was layering present. The top 2 gallons were slightly darker than the bottom three. I had seen this before, but only early in primary. I'm aware that it is a part of the clearing process and the darker layer on top only appears darker due to the lack of yeast(which reflect light). I wouldn't have been surprised to see this even early in secondary, but after eight weeks?!?

My question is, should I continue with my plans to bottle or wait until the layering hits the bottom of the carboy? As best as I can guess, the worst thing that could happen going ahead with bottling is my Tripel might not be as clear as possible. I would also be confident that there is enough yeast in suspension to carbonate. However, I am willing to be patient if it will make my final product the best it can be.

What are your thoughts everyone? Bottling day rests in your capable hands.

Back