Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strick88

Reaction score
Question regarding bottle conditioning as I haven’t done it in over 2 years. I have my experimental Dunkel ale that I bottled Monday and decided to check the process and so far carbonation looks like it’s going well no volcanos and such. However I noticed a small sulfur taste to is. Everything was new or cleaned vigorously and then sanatized so I’m not thinking an infection. I’m planning on trying it with my friend who brewed it with me to learn mid February so I would assume the conditioning should mute that flavor some more correct. I need to get a way to keg again soon

Sulphur is probably yeast derived. I got some with a Scottish strain a few months ago. I bottled at about 3wks and it was mostly gone at 3mo or so. Next time I'd leave it in the fermenter. Time will be your friend, perhaps less time if left in bulk.

the only time i've had any sulfer taste was from abusing lager yeast.

it was very subtle, so not unpleasant for the style, but never did fade.

I recall opening a bottle fermented with WLP051, which is a known Sulphur producer, a bit early and I got a lot of Sulphur. After another week or two, all the other bottles were just fine. I would give it a bit more time for the yeast to clean up.

Back