Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GR22

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When calculating how much sugar to prime with, the calculators ask for temperature so as to consider residual CO2. As I cold crash my secondary prior to bottling, I'm not sure which temp to input into the calculators. I assume I should input temp at bottling (in my case a cold temp)? Some of the calculators ask for fermentation temp (which I assume is not what I want here).

Am I looking at this the right way? I've over carbed in the past and think this could be part of my problem.

thanks,

A reliable method would be to enter the warmest temperature your beer was at after active fermentation and before cold crashing.
Enter different temperatures into a calculator for how much variance would occur in the weight of priming sugar to use for the same volumes of carbonation.

Isn't the amount of co2 present in the beer a function of its temperature. Why wouldn't you use the temperature of the beer just prior to bottling . If highest temp was used couldn't more volumes of co2 be present than expected if the beer is bottled at a lower temperature?

I'm fermenting at 65 degrees but it will warm to at least 70 when I bottle. Wouldn't it make more sense to calculate the sugar using 70 degrees?

If the beer will be at 70° for three or four days before bottling CO2 will have time to leave solution. If it is quickly warmed after cold crashing more of the CO2 will remain in solution.

Back