Bottle Conditioning Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosehunter75

Reaction score
I've brewed an all grain imperial IPA. Everything pretty much went perfect during the entire process. I bottled into 22oz bottles and let them sit for four weeks. Refrigerated one for couple of days, was excited to pop the cap and try my new brew and it was flat as heck. No biggie I thought, I let them sit another 2 weeks, refrigerated one, poped the cap and still flat...no change. So, now I start thinking to myself, where did I screw up. I really started questioning if I even added my priming sugars. But tonight I got to thinking about temps. The very little room I store my beer in stays warm (72 to 75 degrees) but the floor is ice cold, especially now with the cold ass winter we've had. I store my beer on the floor, but in a cardboard box. I decided to take the floors temp. it was 53 degrees. Now, its extremely cold currrently and we have had somewhat warmer weather during the 6 weeks the beer has been in the bottle, but I bet the floor temp never got over 60. Tonight I moved all the beer to a much warmer location and have it lifted off the ground. The beer should be around 70 to 72 degrees at all times. I will see what happens in two more weeks I guess. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions on my next steps if the beer is still flat. Hate to waste it. Its got an awesome flavor. One of my best yet. But hard to choke down a flat imperial IPA!

I believe you found the problem. 60 degrees and under is very cool and will prolong carbonation for sure, especially when using bombers. At normal room temperature 70-72 degrees, it takes around 4 weeks for acceptable carbonation IMO, when using this size bottle. This has been my experience.

Latest posts

Back