Bottle Conditioning and cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterd1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So i started a 5 gallon batch of canadian blonde about a month ago and its already bottled up. its been in the bottle for 2 weeks and i put a couple in the fridge so i could test it out.

I know youre gonna scream at me to have patience and it gets better the longer you leave it, but being the first batch ive ever made i cant wait to try it.

it sat at room temperature while it was conditioning but is there any rule about how long it has to be in the fridge before you can test it out and if so how long?

thanks

Yes there is a rule for how long to chill it before trying it. How long is that, you ask?

Until it's cold enough for you!

Generally though I just give it about 24 hours. Less won't hurt, but neither will more.

After I bottle I start checking at 5 days. I put a six pack in a place that stays at about 70. Since its winter I stick them in the snow for 20 mins and I'm good to go. I am a bit impatient with new beers. Yours were probably ready last week.

it sat at room temperature while it was conditioning but is there any rule about how long it has to be in the fridge before you can test it out and if so how long?

thanks

You make the rules. ;) As soon as it cold enough, or I usually give my first tasters a day in the fridge.

I was so impatient with my first brew, an extract amber ale. I tried one after 4 days in the bottle......1 week, 2 weeks and then 3 weeks. I can tell you this, the beers that I've drank past 3 weeks were delicious! It was definitely drinkable at 4 days as well, but the flavors were too harsh and in your face. Then at 2 weeks (where the instructions said it was good to go) it still got waaaaay better with another week conditioning and 3 days in the fridge.

Patience is hard

I rarely condition less than 2 weeks for my "fresh" beers (IPAs, etc), but with stouts and the like I generally just stack them in the closet and forget about them for a couple of months. It's easier to not want to drink them if you don't see them or think about them, and always worth the wait.

I always put my beers in the fridge for the next day, so at least 12 hours. I always try one at 2 weeks, some are fully carbonated, some are not. Another week takes care of most of them. ALL my beers have tasted better at 3 weeks conditioning. Darker, maltier beers and big beers often take months for the flavors to get really good. I made a couple that were best after a year and lasted a few years.

My house ale is drinkable in a week after bottling, and I have tasted no difference after 4 weeks in the bottle. Being a Strong bitter it is drinkable "green" compared to some other beer styles.

If it's your first batch - all bets are off. Give it an hour in the freezer then into the fridge for another hour and you are good to go. Just don't leave it in the freezer too long, bad things happen.

Sure a week in the fridge it will definitely be clearer and taste better, but it's your first brew so do what you want.

Sometimes I'll come home and decide that the latest brew has had enough carbonation and I really need to give it a quality checking straight away. It's all good.

Quick update:

I tasted one of the beers last night and it had an apple like taste to it, sort of a strange after taste too. have you guys ever had anything like that? did it fix itself?

Quick update:

I tasted one of the beers last night and it had an apple like taste to it, sort of a strange after taste too. have you guys ever had anything like that? did it fix itself?

It could be a few things. The most likely suspect is using a high ratio of simple sugars (ie dextrose or table sugar). Many kits will say to add 1kg of simple sugars and that is too much IMO. It gives a bit of an apple cider taste and just seems different to beer from the shop (not in a good way).

If you think this might be it, next time try a kit which comes with dry malt extract (DME) instead of the sugar. Or look at the "brew enhancer" products which are a mix of DME and dextrose, those are better than using straight sugar.

Quick update:

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is-my-beer-ruined/common-off-flavors

I haven't had any problems with off flavors from dextrose but I guess I haven't really compared one to a DME carbed beer. I do want to eventually start using extract just for something different.

Back