Bottle Condition High Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity beer. OG was 1.082 and FG was 1.014. Brewers Friend has the ABV calculated at 8.93%. Any idea if I will be able to bottle this and get it to carbonate? Yeast was Safale-05. I think the top end for S-05 might be 9.5%. Wondering if I will have to keg it.

Yes, you can bottle condition this beer. Expect it to take a long time though, maybe a few months.

Consider adding freshly rehydrated S05 along with your priming sugar. Fresh yeast usually speeds up the process, but it is not required.

Yes, 9% will carbonate fine. I routinely bottle condition 10% and higher. I bottled a 14% RIS a couple weeks ago but I added a half packet of champagne yeast at bottling and it is already carbed up.

Good luck!

I think I have typed this out a half-dozen times now, and will probably end up typing it out at least a half-dozen more in the future:

Early on in my brewing career, I made a 12% barleywine using US-05. Not only did it do fine in fermenting, but it carbed everything up nicely, no additions needed. I had heard it might take a while to carbonate, but that's no matter since it needed to age for at least 6 months anyway - however, of course I sampled one about 6 weeks in, and it was fine in every way. Carbonated nicely, nice head, and while I thought the flavours needed to "marry" longer, it was certainly drinkable right then.

Note - this was one entire packet of yeast in a 2.5 gallon batch. If you have a 5 or 6 gallon batch, I'd pitch two packs.

:)

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear I can bottle this as I'm not sure I want a keg of high ABV beer taking up room in the fridge. It would take awhile to get through it.

I brewed this 27 days ago. Rack it from primary to secondary a week ago and added the spice tea. There's a very thin layer of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. Should I stir that up into suspension before bottling or rack off of it when I add the sugar? The clarity looks pretty good at this point. I did not cold crash it but am wondering if I did if that would pull more yeast out of suspension that I will need for bottle conditioning? Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Back