Bottle carbonation woes... Skeeterpee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyneco

Reaction score
Like my experience with Cider last year... My first batch of Skeeter pee this spring get was awesome. Followed the recipe, cleared with super kleer finings for probably 2 weeks while I collected more clear bottles from the recycling center, then back sweetened, bottled, carbed and enjoyed. It was amazing. Perfectly clear, perfectly carbonated... All around perfect. No one believed I made it. I made one error in my ingredients so I ended up with 6-7 percent abv.

Fast forward to my next 2 batches.

9 percent abv batch... Cleared perfect, no bottle carb after over a month.

6 percent abv batch... Cleared perfect, no carb after over a month.

Another 9 percent batch, skipped the clearing and it carbed in a couple days, but tastes very yeasty and will need to sit for at least a month or two to clean up.

What's going on? I tried leaving some bottles outside during the summer heat, nothing. 70 degrees nothing. 60 degrees nothing. Is the clearing agent removing all yeast? If so, why did my first batch work? All batches were prepared and back sweetened nearly the same.

Pic 1 and 2 are first batch from May.

Pic 3 is 3rd batch from August.

20140510_150437.jpg

20140526_174828.jpg

20140815_134722.jpg

Back