Bottle carbing a high-ABV brew with WLP500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineIsRed

Reaction score
Quick question for the hive:

I made an Austin Homebrew Rocheforte 10 clone kit – and went a tad over on the OG.

OG = 1.117

I used WLP500 with a huge starter...

after 4 weeks in primary, SG = 1.030

after 5 additional weeks in secondary (9 weeks total), I hit the suggested FG on the nose – 1.023

I just racked it again (to tertiary), to get it to clear a bit (WLP500 has poor floculation, so a couple rackings are usually necessary to get it to clear up (in my experience).

Sooooo... what are the chances that this will carb in the bottle? Depending on which formula you use, the ABV is between 12.3% and 14% (I believe the higher figure is more accurate).

I know I'm near the tipy-top of the alcohol tolerance for WLP500 (I've had good luck with it bottle carbing an 11.5% ABV brew in the past)....

Also – I'm in no hurry with this brew. I don't plan to even think about cracking a bottle for 6 months, and I expect the majority of it to sit for a year.

Latest posts

Back