Bottle capper issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riles8148

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else ever had problems with their capper....mine is bent or something and I have actually broken the tops off bottles....I got it from Northern Brewer...gonna have to purchase a new one, unless someone has the answer...thanks

make sure its square on the bottle....I have the black capper from NB and broke a few myself

Are you using this, first one shown? This is the first I had. Very unstable and broke it on my 2nd or 3rd batch.

I then got the bench model, works like a charm!

capper1.jpg

capper2.jpg

I am not using twist off bottles...so the bench model capper is a better investment them rebuying the same type?

I use that very bench capper and it's been awesome. I have that red wing capper as a back up. I'd get the bench capper. However, I use it only on one size of bottles - 500ml ones. I've read some complaints that it breaks a bit quick when frequently changing the sizes but cannot personally verify if that is true or not.

Rev.

I started with a wing capper.. wife bought me a bench capper.. Yesterday she bought me the attachment that goes on my floor corker to make it a capper. I am not sold on it yet though .

I have 2 red-wing cappers, and both are different. One is tighter than the other, and I find I use both depending on the caps that I get.

I think the internal diameter of the cappers are different.

The tighter one, works well with some caps, but I have recently been buying caps in bulk from my LHBS and it just seems too small for them. On the couple of bottles I've done with this capper and these caps, it just seems tight; it feels as though I'm going to break the bottle, and I struggle to get the capper off.

With the 'larger' capper, the normal caps seem to be loose, and I can't get a snug fit, but it works great with the bulk caps I've been buying.

I suspect the different caps have different metal thickness and this is the problem.

I use both cappers depending on what caps I am using.

If I only had the 'smaller' capper, I think I would have broken a few bottles by now and thrown it out.

I have the Red Baron wing capper,& have used it on some 10 batches so far. I was using cooper's pet bottles. In my experience,some are getting too aggressive with the thing. I did that once,& broke a SN stubby.
Just put the cap on top of the bottle,lower the capper over it. Then gently bring the neck grippers in contact with the neck of the bottle. Then pull the wings down evenly to just below horizontal. Ease the wings back up,& it'll come right off.
99% of the time,anyway. Certain styles/brands of beer bottles I've recycled cause the capper to hang up a little,to where the cap's sides get pulled out a little in one lil area,but still sealed. The Sapporo bottles are one of them.

If you need another capper might as well get a bench one. Longest lasting investment I have made was one. 10 years and still caps just fine.

I never have a problem with Sam Adam's bottles. Just Sapporo,& I think Smithwick's. Anyway,there were only two styles that hung up a little. Otherwise I have no further problems with the red baron wing capper.

I use that very bench capper and it's been awesome. I have that red wing capper as a back up. I'd get the bench capper. However, I use it only on one size of bottles - 500ml ones. I've read some complaints that it breaks a bit quick when frequently changing the sizes but cannot personally verify if that is true or not.

Rev.

I have the same one. I bottle each batch with different size bottles and no issues so far though 700+ bottles so I'd recommend it.

I have 2 red-wing cappers, and both are different. One is tighter than the other, and I find I use both depending on the caps that I get.

I think the internal diameter of the cappers are different.

I think there may be two different size bells for those - I know the bell on my "Red Baron" unscrews and could easily be replaced with another.

On my bench capper (Ferrari brand), the instructions say "The inside of the crimping cup should be slightly greased before use. The capper is fitted with a crimping cup for 26 mm crown caps. The crimping cup for 29/31 mm crown caps is available on request."

Back