Bottle capper broke, slight panic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynx

Reaction score
Tonight I got my Belgian Wit out and started bottling. Everything was going well, everything sanitized. Transferred from the fermenter to the bottling bucket with no problem. Had a tough time capping the first 12 bottles. Then it happened. Shattered a bottle neck. Then two more. The bottling capper was bent and wasn't getting a good even purchase on the bottle neck lip.

Luckily, I had some mr beer plastic bottles handy and used those instead. Of course it happened when every store was closed. This was one of those hand cranking things with two handles.

So I'm curious, what do you all like to use for bottling and capping? Are there better options out there? I'll need to get something new regardless.

On a side note, the Belgian tastes mighty good in it's pre-carbed state.

I've used the Super Agata bench capper for about ten years. Adjusts to different bottle heights. Have been thinking about having a replacement bell on hand. One of these years it might wear out.

The bench capper takes all the hassle out of bottling.

Just looked it up. Looks like a sweet piece of equipment. I think that's the way I'm going to go. Thanks!

I've used the Super Agata bench capper for about ten years. Adjusts to different bottle heights. Have been thinking about having a replacement bell on hand. One of these years it might wear out.

After upgrading to the same bench capper quite some time ago, I'll never go back to a stinkin "wing capper".

I do have a rubber mallet. Might have to try that on at least one bottle just because.

Bench capper is the way I bottle as well. Much easier to use than a wing capper and a lot more stable as well.

I didn't hve any luck with the Super either, so I built my pneumatic capper.

I used to use a wing capper, the "Red Baron." Always worked fine for me, but I decided to get a bench capper anyway. The Agata capper works flawlessly for me.

I still have the wing capper, just in case something ever breaks and I need a backup.

I made an arbor to thread the bell onto, then i chuck it in a small drill press. Infinitely adjustable and works nice. I too had broken a capper in the middle of bottling, and had originally just pressed the bell home with the drill chuck to get the job done. The little arbor just keeps things straighter, and simpler.

G Francis Professional Bench Capper. I primary keg and have only bottled about 10 gallons with it over a year but it works well, adjustable height, magnetic bell, metal parts.

Back