Bottle Brush is Really Tough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidanpryde18

Reaction score
I am trying to clean out some old beer bottles, but the bottle brush that I got in my kit is extremely tough to get into and out of the bottles. Once I get it started it is fine, but as I try to take it out, when it gets near the end it gets locked up and is almost impossible to get out. It is to the point that I worry about flinging a beer bottle across the room accidentally.

Do the bristles get softer over time, or do I need to trim the bristles down some.

This is a standard brush that came with my Brewer's Best kit.

I think you need to do some more 16-22oz curls to build up your muscles. ;)

Seriously though bottling brushes do require some muscle to get in and out of the bottle. If they didn't have such long springy bristles, they wouldn't expand enough to properly scrub the bottle wall. It works best if you can have the bottle immersed when pulling the brush out to avoid flinging sanitizer everywhere.

I cut the round loop off of the end of the metal handle on one of mine, then insert it into an electric drill. While turning the drill slowly, it pops right in, crank it up for a couple of seconds, and slide it back out... perfectly clean everytime, and no muscle required.

I can't resist. It will get soft over time. Really I had a brush that did the same thing, get a new one.

Bottle brush? What is this obsolete tool you speak of???

Oh that thing that came in my kit, and used once, before I discovered the joy of oxycleans bubble action, and not having to use the brush....just soak the bottles for a few hours or over night in hot water and oxyclean and rinse (and labels fall off as well)...same with carboy...the bubbles loosen even the hardest crusties....

oxyclean.jpg

*hint Hint*

+1 on Oxyclean. I picked up some bottles at a local party store that had the usual mold on the bottom and were pretty dirty. ! night in Oxyclean and that was it. Did not have to scrub at all. It also works great on the dried krausen in the carboy.

+1 on Oxyclean. I picked up some bottles at a local party store that had the usual mold on the bottom and were pretty dirty. ! night in Oxyclean and that was it. Did not have to scrub at all. It also works great on the dried krausen in the carboy.

+2... I use the brush ONLY if I absolutely need to. 99% of my bottles (also used moldy bottles I get from my LHBS) never see a brush.

Oxyclean is good stuff! I just finished soaking my bottles for 2 days in the bathtub with Oxyclean (2 cases worth) and they came out looking great! Granted the crap from inside of the bottles is floating all over the tub water but the insides were nice and clean.

I also had a bottle brush that was a bear to get in and out of bottles. I found that gathering the bristles and putting them in the bottle then putting the rest of the brush in the bottle makes it a bit easier. It also helps to have a nice deep tub of water to clean the bottles in with a brush, a LOT less splashing.

Oxyclean is good stuff! I just finished soaking my bottles for 2 days in the bathtub with Oxyclean (2 cases worth) and they came out looking great! Granted the crap from inside of the bottles is floating all over the tub water but the insides were nice and clean.

I also had a bottle brush that was a bear to get in and out of bottles. I found that gathering the bristles and putting them in the bottle then putting the rest of the brush in the bottle makes it a bit easier. It also helps to have a nice deep tub of water to clean the bottles in with a brush, a LOT less splashing.

yeah, but I bet you got pretty stinky without access to your bathtub for two days! :cross:

I soak my bottles in a 5 gallon bucket of Oxyclean solution and use a bottle brush if they are really dirty. One problem I had was that when I take a bottle out of the bucket, it's slippery, so now I attach a "Y" to my sink faucet. This "Y" has two outlets with separate on/off controls. I have my "Jet" bottle washer attached to one leg of the "Y"; the other one I leave the control just cracked open so that I have a fine spray coming out. This way, I can rinse off the outside of the bottle and my hand so I have a good grip before using the brush. After brushing, I empty the soapy water from the bottle, give it another short rinse on the outside, and then a couple of shots from the bottle washer. It takes longer to read this than to do it.

I agree oxyclean's great, but this is even better: Rinse 'em! That night, the next night, or even a couple of days later, get the bottles before the gunk sets and you will NEVER, EVER, EVER, get your bottle brush out again. I haven't used mine in many months.

I agree oxyclean's great, but this is even better: Rinse 'em! That night, the next night, or even a couple of days later, get the bottles before the gunk sets and you will NEVER, EVER, EVER, get your bottle brush out again. I haven't used mine in many months.

I've never actually used mine. :eek:

I try to rinse my bottles right away, as you do. Sometimes that just gets forgotten (like when I've already drank 12 or so) but the oxiclean soak works like a champ. It also has the handy side effect of removing the labels. 2 birds, 1 stone.

I used my bottle brush the very first time until about bottle #10 when I realized it was an complete waste of time. I will throw a bottle away before I pull that brush out again, but I haven't had to since I rinse all my bottles now and use Oxyclean to de-label! :rockin:

Yup.

Bottling prep for me consists of a squirt of Star San and hanging 'em on a bottle tree.

Tom

I delabeled two cases of SN bottles a week ago but after 50 bottles worth of labels and glue some of the glue pieces stuck to the inside of the bottles. I was inspecting them for funk when I noticed the little specks on the inside. There are 10 bottles effected and I was wondering if anybody has expeirenced this.

The specks are pen head size and each bottle has one or two. I normally bake my bottles to sanitize and thought maybe the 350 degree oven would bake the glue to the point it would not matter.

I was also thinking about resoaking in fresh oxlyclean to see if that would loosen the pieces.

I like bottle brush which is thin enough to get into narrow neck bottle. Besides, I prefer sponge bottle brush than bristle bottle brush. If I need to clean wide neck bottles, I would have wide range choice of cleaning brush. In that time, I always go for foam bottle brush.
1517188429210061.png

Back