Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigglet

Reaction score
I came home from the gym this morning to find I had a bottle bomb from one of my milk stouts. These milk stouts have been bottled for nearly 7 months. I would have thought that if I overcarbed them I would have seen a bomb much sooner.

I know that nobody can say for certain, but should I expect more? Or was that maybe just an odd one? If I do get more, is there anything I can do? I'm pretty sure I can just put them all in the fridge which would stop any further carbonation, but that would take up a lot of my fridge space.

Thanks all!

Probably a defective bottle that gave way after 7 months. Refrigerate what you can, and put the rest in a Rubbermaid, if you haven't done so already.:tank:

Infection is quite probable.
If a bacteria is in there, it'll slowly eat the sugars that your yeast could not process.
In the long run, this could result in too much carbonation, a beer way too dry and off flavours.

If you're lucky, only a couple of bottle could be affectec from improper bottle washing / sanitation. If you're not, your whole batch might just be infected from a dirty carboy, transfer tube, transfer cane of bottling bucket.

I would have asked if it got warm too... Happened to a friend of mine as well. It was in my basement as happy as could be. Gave it to a friend and he had it in his first floor. That night it woke him up.

Back