Bottle Bomb this morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSavage

Reaction score
I found wet spot when I went in the basement this morning, under a box of my ESB I bottled 17 days ago. I had two bottles the other day and they were both gushers.

It was wyeast 1968, in primary for 14 days before I bottled

OG 1.064
"Final" gravity 1.014
primed with 2.5 oz sugar

Now I have to figure out what to do with the remaining bottles:

4 x 12 oz
12 x 22 oz
17 x 16 oz Swing top bottles.

Dump them all back in bottling bucket and re-bottle them?

Chill them asap to reduce the pressure and stop further carbing.

You can gently pry up the caps to let off pressure without foaming too much, do it a few times then recap when you can get the lids off without making a mess. This is assuming they still taste OK.
Dunno about the flip tops.

1.014 FG seems a little high, no? Was this an extract batch?

Like Pkrd said, put all bottles in the fridge. They will continue to carbonate though, just at a much slower rate. In a couple of days, toss on a pair of safety glasses, put on some gloves, and open one at a time to relieve the pressure. You can pry off just a little bit of the cap like it was mentioned and re-cap. I would likely just slowly pry off the entire cap and re-cap with a new cap. The same for the flip tops, just put the top back on.

If the beer isn't tasting good though, I'd toss it. You either didn't reach final gravity or you have an infection.

THIS^^^

Plus, to check to see if your FG was correct, take one beer and open and pour it. Get it to room temp, stir/slosh it, whatever, to flatten it and then re-check FG. If it's lower than your batch FG, then your problem is an unfinished ferm. If it's the same and it smells and tastes good, your priming sugar may have somehow been calculated incorrectly. Eliminating those two factors, the remaining logical conclusion is an infection.

Tastes great.

The Final final gravit is 1.006

From what I read about wyeast 1968 and reviewing various ESB recipes 1.014 seemed quite reasonable. So I cut corners and bottled it up because I wanted it out of the way before I went on vacation.

One month later here's the deal:

I emptied all the remaining bottles back into my bottling bucket. It was a bit of a challenge as you had to hold the bottle at just the right angle for the crown not to land in the bucket and the jet of beer not to overshoot the bucket.

One cap and one grolsch style top got caught in the bottling bucket. The pressure was enough to pull off several of the grolsch style tops when opening.

After filling up the bottling bucket, and losing about a third of my beer to not getting stream into the bucket, I re-bottled with out adding more priming sugar. I was sure I would have flat vinegar however I'm drinking a decent English style beer with modest carbonation.

I had this problem with two batches in a row. After I got my new mill I was brewing like crazy and bottled too early. I just dumped mine, but I am curious how yours will turn out.

Latest posts

Back