Bottle bomb advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjgalloway

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice. I opened a couple of my latest brew tonight and got a load of beer in my face. The bottles were gushing just like I've seen bottle bombs do on youtube.

The thing is, it appears that all of this batch are like that, except the one I opened a week ago. Today is 3 weeks in the bottle, so a week ago it was 2 weeks in the bottle (for those who struggle to do 3 minus 1...).

Anyway, this was my 2nd batch, which I did from kit, and I didn't have a hydrometer to take readings on this one, so I have nothing to go off. But because of this, I get the sense that the problem was with bottling it before it had finished fermenting fully.

What do people think?

Obviously I now take readings and know 100% what's going into my beer since I just do my own recipes now!

First be patient with fermentation. I let everything go for a minimum of 2 weeks before i even check the gravity. After 2 weeks, its more than likely going to be finished. Second, get a scale and weigh your priming sugar. measuring by volume is so inaccurate when it comes to priming sugar.

You wouldn't by chance be using Fizz Drops, would you? I used to use them until I realized that 90% of my bottles were either flat or gushers. As soon as I started batch priming with corn sugar, I started getting much more consistent results.

First be patient with fermentation. I let everything go for a minimum of 2 weeks before i even check the gravity. After 2 weeks, its more than likely going to be finished. Second, get a scale and weigh your priming sugar. measuring by volume is so inaccurate when it comes to priming sugar.

Totally. I do that now :). This one which I'm just drinking now was brew number 2, from a BBS kit. I wish I'd read up more because I really didn't know what I was doing. I did, however, measure out the honey properly. The thing is, it was about double was BeerSmith says. Maybe I've answered my own question?!

You wouldn't by chance be using Fizz Drops, would you? I used to use them until I realized that 90% of my bottles were either flat or gushers. As soon as I started batch priming with corn sugar, I started getting much more consistent results.

I used honey because that's what the BBS kit said to do. On my first own recipe brew I'm using table sugar. I've done batch priming always though. The fizz drops always seemed a little bit strange to me!

Back