Boston+baseball +beer.. Kegs left behind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beergears

Reaction score
Hmm.. I was just wondering, there will be a number of commercial kegs floating around, near me, Red Sox country, in the next few days.

What are the chances of running into abandoned kegs... (a bad thing for the dealer/brewer)?

(Watch for aggressive metal recyclers with crow bars..?!??)

- j

As a fellow bostonian I must say that yes, the place will be a zoo, and yes, there are going to be a lot of kegs floating around. But to be on the safe and legal side, the best thing for you to do is wait a month, as kegs in Boston must be returned within 30 days for the return of the $30 deposit. Anyone who misses the deposit cutoff will bring the kegs to the scrapyard and you can get them there instead of stealing them. I got a keg at a scrap yard that had a sticker from 2003 on it, the thing had been sitting in some guys garage for 4 years before he turned it in.

The simplest solution to the problem (for the brewers) as I see it is to set a standard deposit and require liquor stores to pay the deposit to anyone who brings in a keg, regardless of whether the keg comes from the store or not. They require the stores to take back empty cans, so why not for kegs.

I have a Kegerator, and have missed the deposit cutoff before, if it wasn't for the fact that the liquor store was willing to send someone over to collect the keg, it would have sat in my garage for quite a long time, and probably never made it back to the brewery.

Seeing the words baseball and beer together gets me all excited lol. Go Sox and yay for beer.

Donasay said:
As a fellow bostonian I must say that yes, the place will be a zoo, and yes, there are going to be a lot of kegs floating around. But to be on the safe and legal side, the best thing for you to do is wait a month, as kegs in Boston must be returned within 30 days for the return of the $30 deposit. Anyone who misses the deposit cutoff will bring the kegs to the scrapyard and you can get them there instead of stealing them. I got a keg at a scrap yard that had a sticker from 2003 on it, the thing had been sitting in some guys garage for 4 years before he turned it in.

The simplest solution to the problem (for the brewers) as I see it is to set a standard deposit and require liquor stores to pay the deposit to anyone who brings in a keg, regardless of whether the keg comes from the store or not. They require the stores to take back empty cans, so why not for kegs.

I have a Kegerator, and have missed the deposit cutoff before, if it wasn't for the fact that the liquor store was willing to send someone over to collect the keg, it would have sat in my garage for quite a long time, and probably never made it back to the brewery.

What are the kegs selling for at the scrapyard? What will a scrapyard give you for a keg after you missed the deadline for getting the deposit back?

I think this horse has been beaten and beaten and beaten. I agree with at least waiting until the deposit is up. Otherwise, it's a bit touchy as far as whether you have a right to keep the keg.

Professor Frink said:
I agree with at least waiting until the deposit is up. Otherwise, it's a bit touchy as far as whether you have a right to keep the keg.

Honestly, what's the diffrence between intentionally holding onto it untill the deposit is up to cut it up, and just cutting it up and keeping it?

OK, this I don't understand. You don't get a deposit back on kegs if you don't drink beer that fast? Does that mean that they WON'T take them back? or does that just mean that they will take them back but no deposit will be given? If they won't take them back at all there is a serious breakdown in the system and the beating of the dead horses was all for naught. If you can't return them what are the distributers saying. If your party falls through you are a thief unless you want to either chug remaining beer or dump out to take the keg back instead of enjoying it at your own pace? There's something seriously wrong here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back