Bootlegger's Bible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGrath Brewery

Reaction score
I have just recently bought the Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible and i was wondering if anyone else has read it and what they think... :)

You know I saw this book today:) Looked real interesting. I have been told that it's illegal.... anyone know why? Just strikes me as odd that beer and wine brewing is legal and this is not.

Yes it does. I have actually done this several times in various chemistry classes. Its pretty easy.

Home beer and wine making have only been legal for a few decades. Any kind of distilling (including freezing your apple cider) at home is still illegal in the USA.

Brew chick said:
Distilling Is illegal in the uk too,is it legal anywere in the western world?
I'd rather just drink home made beer, cider, mead and wine. Vodka is easy to get and it's cheap enough! I wouldn't drink any 'home made anti-freeze'!:D

david_42 said:
Home beer and wine making have only been legal for a few decades. Any kind of distilling (including freezing your apple cider) at home is still illegal in the USA.

What would freezing apple cider do?

AFTER YOU FREEZE IT IN THE BOTTLE, TURN THE BOTTLE UPSIDE DOWN IN ANOTHER JAR.
THE ALCOHOL MELTS OUT BEFORE THE WATER IN THE ICE DOES AND YOU END UP WITH MORE CONCENTRATED ALCOHOL.
I CAN'T REMEMBER THE PERCENTAGES BUT GO TO
HTTP://HOMEDISTILLER.ORG
IT HAS A SECTION ON THIS PRACTICE

It's a process called "jacking", as in apple jack. If you live in the US then your forefathers used this process during the cold colonial winters. Oddly enough the same guys that wrote the original laws for the country enjoyed the fruits from this natural distilling process.
How I know this is there is a nice passage on it in the Bootlegger's Bible. I highly recommend this book. Don't let the title scare you away. The beer brewing info is straight forward. The sections on wine and spirits are very through, and just plain cool. It has bunch of unusual wine recipes many do not involve grapes. The section on distilling is interesting and perhaps they'll let you have a copy of this book to read in prison if you get caught running a still.
Austin

Back