books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bam

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wanting to gain some knowledge about the brewing process..fermentation, gravity, recipes and calculations..basic terminology, etc etc..

can anyone recommend some books for me to pick up or some threads on here to study up on??

thanks!!:D

Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" is a great book to read through several times before brewing, and have on hand for reference for the future.

Well I've already started brewing, but I do wanna gain some knowledge. I have heard several references on this site to Palmer's and Papazian's books. Are these available at Books a Million or Barnes and Noble?

i think pretty much everyone on this forum will recommend John Palmer's, How To Brew... it is great for everyone no matter what their experience level is

i think pretty much everyone on this forum will recommend John Palmer's, How To Brew... it is great for everyone no matter what their experience level is

I have noticed a lot of quotes from How To Brew and references to John Palmer. He seems to be a very well respected source. I do intend to check it out! Thanks! :mug:

Complete Joy of Homebrewing (Papazian) - Good, but a little dated. Charlie is the 'Godfather of Homebrewing', but I feel like the book is sorta stuck in the 80's and needs to be updated to reflect today's knowledge about home brewing. This is the first book I bought, and got me started. I find it a bit lacking when it comes to in-depth knowledge. The fact that recipes call for 'Crystal Malt' without indicating Lovibond rating is a bit odd.

How to Brew (Palmer) - Great book, lots of information. You can pick it up, read for an hour and be brewing. After that though, you can definitely go back and read the more in-depth information. I wish it went into a little more depth about specific ingredients and what they contribute to beer. The mashing sections and info about water chemistry are pretty dang good.

Designing Great Beers (Daniels) - Wonderful technical knowledge about hops and what they contribute. Gives the history and basic parameters for major beers styles. Probably the best book if you're into writing your own recipes. Also, quite technical when it comes to color, water chemistry, yeast, and malts. Not really a beginner book.

Brew Like a Monk (Hieronymus) - History and technical information about how the Belgians brew their beers. Great if you're into that sort of thing, but not really a beginner book. It doesn't give a lot of recipes per-say, but does give you enough tidbits of information that you can connect the dots and start formulating your Belgian style beers.

Brewing Classic Styles (Zainasheff, Palmer) - Awesome book by two home brew Gurus. The authors brew award winning beer like no-one-else, and they give lots of proven recipes for various styles that conform to their standard guidelines.

I'd also download and listen to the podcasts on brewingnetwork.com ... very informative.

I believe the online version of Palmer's book doesn't have all the info that's in the actual hardcopy, right? Least that's how I understood it. Either way, buy the hardcopy as you'll refer to it enough that it's good to have it around.

agree about the joy of homebrewing being very dated. I found a lot of the stuff I couldn't really trust because it's so old that opinions have changed on various topics since the time it was written (and being a beginner how do you decide which is "dated" info and which is not? That's why I prefer Palmers as the latest version is one of the most up to date I've found.

I've found the homebrewer's answer book to be good info for beginner as well, although he does differ on things I read on this forum as well (like opinions on aluminum pots, etc.)

Tasting beer is not really a brewing book, but more just get an idea of the different beer styles, what types of food they go with, what glasses to serve it in, etc. I found it interesting.

I also recommend going to one of these "half-priced books" stores. I found several books for just a couple of dollars that were worth reading about beer styles, etc. Nothing really up-to-date, but worth reading if you're interested in the hobby.

Just remember any book is good for the basics, but so much is constantly changing in this hobby that even Palmer is out of date, hence the who "people who misread Palmer's section on autolysis and think you need to move your beer out of primary -vs- the trend in the last few years to go the month in primary/no secondary route.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

Ideas change with science....Here's a good example John Palmer basically admits that what he wrote about IBU's in How to brew, was essentially "wrong" or at least outdated in light of new science...

Basic Brewing Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:30 PM
John Palmer, author of How to Brew, shares information from a conference that challenged his concept of what defines an International Bitterness Unit (IBU). Click to listen, MP-3

I cite that podcast as an example of how the knowlegebase shifts so fast in this hobby because of places like this or podcasts...A book is a snapshot of the author's body of knowledge and the "common wisdom" at the time the author wrote the book, which may mean 3 years before it was even published. Papazian's book is 30+ years old. The basic knowlege is good, but brewing science and experience has progressed to where some things an author believes or says at that time may no-longer be valid...even to the author.

In that Podcast, Palmer basically contradicts in some was what he wrote in HTB...and I bet it will be reflected in his subsequent writings, but if he doesn't go back and revise HTB, and people don't read or listen to anything by him after, than they won't realize that the knowlegebase has already shifted...

And well probably start seeing long primary mentioned in more and more books in the future.

which brewing podcasts are worth listening to? I am new to brewing and just taking in all the information I can get.

Just remember any book is good for the basics, but so much is constantly changing in this hobby that even Palmer is out of date, hence the who "people who misread Palmer's section on autolysis and think you need to move your beer out of primary -vs- the trend in the last few years to go the month in primary/no secondary route.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

Ideas change with science....Here's a good example John Palmer basically admits that what he wrote about IBU's in How to brew, was essentially "wrong" or at least outdated in light of new science...

I cite that podcast as an example of how the knowlegebase shifts so fast in this hobby because of places like this or podcasts...A book is a snapshot of the author's body of knowledge and the "common wisdom" at the time the author wrote the book, which may mean 3 years before it was even published. Papazian's book is 30+ years old. The basic knowlege is good, but brewing science and experience has progressed to where some things an author believes or says at that time may no-longer be valid...even to the author.

In that Podcast, Palmer basically contradicts in some was what he wrote in HTB...and I bet it will be reflected in his subsequent writings, but if he doesn't go back and revise HTB, and people don't read or listen to anything by him after, than they won't realize that the knowlegebase has already shifted...

And well probably start seeing long primary mentioned in more and more books in the future.

Revvy..can you direct me in the direction of some of the threads a beginner should read on here with good sound advice from experienced brewers? :mug:

Look at any of the stickies, at the top of every section of the forum. 99.9% of any new brewers questions have usually already been answered and they are usually stickied somewhere in the forum, usually in the section it is more than likely related to.

In fact THIS ONE probably has every question answered in one place if people would only look. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/faq-please-read-before-asking-question-7909/

This thread has a lot of tips, but sadly some folks can't tell the difference between information and an opinion about something, so some of it has to be tacken with a grain of salt. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/?highlight=stone+cold

Then these threads of mine are meant to be helpful. They're basically summations of things I've answered hundreds of times.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

But basically just look through the threads there's a ton of info here, usually repeated thousands of times.

In the time I've been here, I've come to realize there is no new questions ever asked, no new situations that we haven't seen 100 times before. I know people hate it when we say it, BUT the answers really are already here, and people really just need to do some digging. This time of year especially, with all the new folks, there's usually 5 different version of the same question in the same section being answered the same time and all in a row. Like right now there are 4-5 "Should I secondary or do long primary?" threads where we're cutting and pasting the same answers in each thread.

:mug:

thanks revvy!! I have noticed tons of similar questions from several different newbs, and all with the same answer. I try to research some to find my answers so I don't get on anyone's nerves with too many already answered questions, and sometimes I just some clarity on the matter. You guys that have been in the hobby for awhile have really halped with the advice. It is much much appreciated!!

Check your local library, you'd be surprised at what you might find. Plus you can preview the books and find ones worth your time and investment.

thanks revvy!! I have noticed tons of similar questions from several different newbs, and all with the same answer. I try to research some to find my answers so I don't get on anyone's nerves with too many already answered questions, and sometimes I just some clarity on the matter. You guys that have been in the hobby for awhile have really halped with the advice. It is much much appreciated!!

You're welcome...

Hey guess what? My bottling thread just got stickied. :D

Check your local library, you'd be surprised at what you might find. Plus you can preview the books and find ones worth your time and investment.

I have actually not even thought about the local library!! wonderful idea! Thanks!:mug:

Latest posts

Back