Books on Hop's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtom1991

Reaction score
I have recently finished the Brewing Elements Yeast Book which was excellent so was strongly considering the Hops book from this series. For the love of Hops

However i have seen the author has a newer book The New IPA which is 7 years newer (2019) with the other book been from 2012.

Has anyone read either or both of these books ?

Of the Brewing Elements series, I found the Water and Yeast books to be invaluable resources (I have not read the Malt one). I just never got much out of Hops, even when it was fairly new. I have looked back on that book and still, not been impressed. There is info on the history of hops and some stuff that seems kinda interesting on growing and processing hops on the commercial level (nothing that was very informative about growing hops from home). As far as using hops as a homebrewer, there is a outdated "catalog" of hops that has less info than you can find on many free sites, and I think by the time I appreciated the complexity of hops the info on the book was too outdated. Stan Hieronymus is an incredible resource on hops though.

Scott Janish's book would be in my top 10 of best homebrew books.

+1 for The New IPA. Completely upped my NEIPA game. He does a great job of presenting the science, but also breaking it down in ways that are easy to digest. The tips from successful breweries at the end of the book are also top notch.

I have recently finished the Brewing Elements Yeast Book which was excellent so was strongly considering the Hops book from this series. For the love of Hops

However i have seen the author has a newer book The New IPA which is 7 years newer (2019) with the other book been from 2012.

Has anyone read either or both of these books ?

I've read both. I go back to "The New IPA" more often than "For the Love of Hops". If I had to choose one, it would be "The New IPA".

He does a great job of presenting the science,

And the science he covers (in "The New IPA") goes beyond hops.

You can get a feel of them by checking out their blogs.
+1 for the idea of following these guys online.

The "Hop Queries" newsletter is often an interesting read.

Scott Janish's book would be in my top 10 of best homebrew books.

Agreed.

Back