BONUS gallon from NB's De Belge Farmhouse IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readmypilot

Reaction score
I've been doing 2gal BIABs in my apartment for a while, but this was my first 3gal in my new 7.5gal kettle. It went great! But at the end of my boil I realized that I STILL had about 4.5gal of wort in the kettle. Whoops. I was prepared for a weak wort, but amazingly, I hit the target OG of 1.060 right on the nose.

So I filled my Better Bottle AND a 1gal jug, leaving plenty of green trub behind.

I pitched the WY3942 from NB's kit into the Better Bottle and — the part I'm really nerding out about — I pitched the dregs from a Logsdon Seizoen Bretta in the 1gal.

This is also my first batch to go into my converted Craigslist mini-fridge fermentation chamber. I'm really excited, obviously. :mug:

I've been doing 2gal BIABs in my apartment for a while, but this was my first 3gal in my new 7.5gal kettle. It went great! But at the end of my boil I realized that I STILL had about 4.5gal of wort in the kettle. Whoops. I was prepared for a weak wort, but amazingly, I hit the target OG of 1.060 right on the nose.

So I filled my Better Bottle AND a 1gal jug, leaving plenty of green trub behind.

I pitched the WY3942 from NB's kit into the Better Bottle and — the part I'm really nerding out about — I pitched the dregs from a Logsdon Seizoen Bretta in the 1gal.

This is also my first batch to go into my converted Craigslist mini-fridge fermentation chamber. I'm really excited, obviously. :mug:

What was the kit sized for?

But sounds like it's all working out :rockin:

It's a 3gal kit, but I got great efficiency and my boil wasn't quite as strong as it could be. Not worried about DMS because it's got enough hops and yeast flavor to cover it up.

First week in the primary went great. I pitched at 62 and gradually brought up to 75 over several days. Now I'm easing it back down. I plan to bottle all but the brett'd portion after a cold crash next weekend.

I'm wondering if I'll get to see a pellicle in the brett'd gallon.

We bottled what was in the Better Bottle last week. FG was 1.002! Crazy. The sample tasted fantastic too!

The brett'd gallon is still in the fermentation chamber, and sure enough, a nice pellicle has formed on top. Here's a pic:

5Afyk83.jpg

Latest posts

Back