BOMM oops moment. Left it way too sweet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNSmitty

Reaction score
So, my reading comprehension failed me when making my BOMM. I started with a much to high gravity, ~1.12 - 1.13 (im pretty sure thats what it was, I'm at work and dont have my notes in front of me.)

I used 1388 yeast and it did its job fine. Its sitting at ~1.024 right now. That gives me roughly 12.6% ABV and 78% attenutation. That falls right inline with the tolerances of 1388. Its been there for 3 weeks. So I am fairly confident that the 1388 has finished its activites. The mead has a pleaseant flavor, its just incredibly sweet.

So to get to my question,

Can I finish up this mead with a yeast like EC-1118 to get it down to a more appropriate final gravity? What steps should I take if I can go that route? Anything more than just rehydrating and pitching? More nutrients?

No. It's not finished. Attenuation means nothing in mead because all sugars are fermentable. I routinely use an SG of 1.12 and it always goes dry (1.000). It just takes a bit longer. Just stir a bit and I bet it will take off again.

By the way, I've pushed this yeast to 19% so beware!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Good to know!
Would you suggest running the wine whip through it again? Or would introducing oxygen at this point be bad? I havent checked my PH, I need to get some strips......

Its already 7 weeks old. Not that I am in a hurry, but whats the usual extra time you find you need with a larger mead?

It's more to get the yeast back in suspension than to add oxygen. What is your S.G. now?

Yep. Brought everything back into suspension, it just settled down again and the gravity didnt change.

No. It's not finished. Attenuation means nothing in mead because all sugars are fermentable. I routinely use an SG of 1.12 and it always goes dry (1.000). It just takes a bit longer. Just stir a bit and I bet it will take off again.

By the way, I've pushed this yeast to 19% so beware!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

What was the generation of the yeast that ran to 19%? I may be getting a bulk batch of honey and figure I may as well reuse the yeast cake but 19% may be a bit too high. Don't want to train the yeast too much to be too tolerant

Any idea how old you pack was? Maybe you had a pouch with less viability.

It was "older"
I dont have the packs anymore, so I dont remember off hand. I want to say they were dated Oct 14. I thought they might have been old, so I pitched 2 packs. The LHBS didnt have anything fresher.

Latest posts

Back