Boilover!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdsmith72

Reaction score
ROFL. I guess I'm a brewer now. My first batch went completely without a boilover or any other types of accidents. I cooked my second batch tonight and it managed to boil over. I guess I'm initiated now. heh. At least I noticed it when it was about to and dipped some out with a clean sauce pan just as it started to boil over so not much got away. I poured what I dipped out right back in too as soon as I could! No wasting beer in this house. :D

When the wort comes close to the top just slide it off the heat....it will subside.

I use gas, so I also just lower the heat a bit and you'll get the same results. Then slowly raise the heat until the wort can withstand the amount of heat you'll use to boil. :D

Thanks! I didn't think of sliding it off the heat. Seemed like it took a week and a half to come to a boil (probably 'cause I was watchin') I guess I didn't want to stop it from boiling. :rolleyes:

you can always take a spray bottle with water and hit the foam as it rises

brewhead said:
Thanks man. I would have never thought of that. I learn something every day on this forum. By the way, the airlock is bubbling away after only 8 hours in the fermentor. :D

I think it's meant to happen that way! I didn't have a boil-over until my 3rd batch.

Good tip on the spray bottle!

brewhead said:

Great idea ..never thought to do that .. Duh...I have always stood there watchin for 90 minutes or more with my hand on the propane valve.

Thanks Man!

no probs - now that's not to say that a correctly set valve isn't important either. i started noticing at what point after i achieved a rolling boil my valve was set at...marked it..and for five gallons - it remarkibly around the same setting each time. i can achieve a vigorous roling boil but still keep the foam at bay. i've also noticed that once i graduated from a 2 gallon boil to a 5.5 gallon boil it seemed easier to keep a rolling boil going without the boil over.

maybe others have same experiences <shrug>

maybe i'm just a weirdo and notice too much..'course at 6:00 am there's not much else going on besides just sitting there enjoying the morning watching the sun come up - and doing foam patrol.

Wow, this batch is bubbling away. I've got bubbles about every 3-4 seconds and the bubbels started less than 8 hours after pitching the yeast. :D I can't think of anything I did drastically different this batch than last except the way I cooled the wort. I'm not worried about it. Just an observation.

[Edit] Oh, and I used a whisk to aerate the wort just before pitching.....

Thats sounds like its going to be a good one. Aeration really helps the yeast take off. I use an airstone and aguapump when I'm not feeling too lazy.

Back