Boilover from hell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess I was due. Haven't had one in years, but today took the cake. I turned my back for 1 minute to piss, not ten feet from my kettle, and it happened. I only lost about a pint, so I thought I was OK, until I realized that the burner wasn't funtioning properly. So I just spent 20 min. completely disassembling my burner and cleaning it out, burning myself amply along the way!

Question? What's the correct point during the boil to add singed flesh?

Gotta love brewing! :rockin:

I turned my back for 1 minute to piss, not ten feet from my kettle, and it happened.

I don't know about the singed flesh, but I don't think "not ten feet from the kettle" is the correct place to piss! Unless you brew in the kitchen AND your bathroom is within ten feet. ;)

But hey, I'm one to talk...I used to ferment in the downstairs guest bathroom.

This is exactly why I don't leave until my boil has been going for at least 20 minutes. Fortunatley I haven't had one in a while either (knock on wood).

Luckily you didn't lose much!

I don't know about the singed flesh, but I don't think "not ten feet from the kettle" is the correct place to piss! Unless you brew in the kitchen AND your bathroom is within ten feet. ;)

Having move my brewday to the driveway, everywhere but the kettle is the correct place to piss. Provided I turn away from the street of course!;)

Admit it, you thought the same as me. Peeing in the kitchen sink while keeping one eye on the stove.

I'd do it, and I don't care who knows! :D

Well, I guess I was due. Haven't had one in years, but today took the cake. I turned my back for 1 minute to piss, not ten feet from my kettle, and it happened. I only lost about a pint, so I thought I was OK, until I realized that the burner wasn't funtioning properly. So I just spent 20 min. completely disassembling my burner and cleaning it out, burning myself amply along the way!

Gotta love brewing! :rockin:

For $30 I was able to go to the local Miller distributer and get a keg for a keggle. Now I don't worry about boil overs except when making my starter on the stove.

Admit it, you thought the same as me. Peeing in the kitchen sink while keeping one eye on the stove.

I'd do it, and I don't care who knows! :D

Remind me to never drink a glass of water at your house. :D

Remind me to never drink a glass of water at your house. :D

I would think after dumping all the oxyclean, and sanatizers into the sink it should be cleaner than my toothbrush. But then I'm not quite tall enough to piss in the sink anyway. UNLESS = :drunk:

I would think after dumping all the oxyclean, and sanatizers into the sink it should be cleaner than my toothbrush. But then I'm not quite tall enough to piss in the sink anyway. UNLESS = :drunk:

Hmmm... so that explains the unusual corrosion in your immersion chiller... Been pissin' in the intake?

Just had a one last night while making a starter...SWMBO came into the kitchen, I turned around to say but two words and it boiled over all over my glass cooktop (sugar is the enemy with these stoves - its a bit*h to get it off)...fortunately it was only a starter

Back