boiling wert on the grill??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok i know I have seen a post before on hbt about boiling wert on the grill but I was curious. I have one of those black glass stove top electric stoves. I am wondering if my tiny propane grill can heat the wert up better and faster then my stove.

It usually takes a really long time and the boil doesnt get to furious.

Its unlikely. Most propane grills I've seen don't have enough BTU's to got a good boil on such a large pot. I'd recommend buying something like the Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner. Its not really expensive, and can use your same propane tank.

Its unlikely. Most propane grills I've seen don't have enough BTU's to got a good boil on such a large pot. I'd recommend buying something like the Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner. Its not really expensive, and can use your same propane tank.

Not to mention they probably can't handle the weight.

These posts pretty much cover the territory. No grill I've ever seen would have the heat output necessary for brewing, and putting a 65-70 pound weight on an appliance that is designed to hold 5-10 pounds of food at the most has gotta be a no-no.

I just brewed this past weekend using my three burner grill. I boiled two gallons of H2O and then three gallons of wort. While the grill got super hot, it took quite a while to heat up that much H20 and wort, even then it wasn't a rolling boil. Even with a larger grill there are barely enough BTUs. I'm sure the 100 degree heat was a nice help :)

I've used a turkey cooker in the past, they definately put out some heat!

I also have an electric stove, and had trouble getting a full boil going.

What I saw on HBT is to get a bit of insulation that has the metal-shiney side and wrap it around your brewpot. I didn't have any of that last time, so I just wrapped some tinfoil around my pot a couple times.

Worked like a charm! I got a rolling boil going like never before. It keeps the heat from escaping out the sides of the pot so quickly. Give it a try with just water, to test and see if it works.

I also have an electric stove, and had trouble getting a full boil going.

What I saw on HBT is to get a bit of insulation that has the metal-shiney side and wrap it around your brewpot. I didn't have any of that last time, so I just wrapped some tinfoil around my pot a couple times.

Worked like a charm! I got a rolling boil going like never before. It keeps the heat from escaping out the sides of the pot so quickly. Give it a try with just water, to test and see if it works.

Hm sounds like a good idea... I just wrap it right around the pot itself or is there a specific was I should wrap it.

Also how many btu's should a burner have in order for me to do 3 - 5 galon boils??

Hm sounds like a good idea... I just wrap it right around the pot itself or is there a specific was I should wrap it.

I just wrapped it around the pot. It wasn't even tightly wrapped (which probably helped because air is a good insulator). Just wraped around, tore a whole so it would fit over the pot's handles, and folded it a bit over the lip of the pot to keep it in place.

Will a 35,000 BTU grill boil more quickly than say 12,000 BTUs (2 burners) on the stove? The problem with the grill of course is that the heat is further away from the pot...

You have an idea of the problem. The BTUs on a grill are in no way concentrated enough to provide an efficient boil of the volumes required for brewing.....it would take forever, assuming the liquid ever boiled at all. Get something designed to boil liquid in a pot. When I started AG, I got a Bayou Classic SP-14 for about $40-45, and it's been great.

I have boiled starters on my side burner, and I boil corn and brats on it. Nothing close to 5 gallons, but I think you could boil 2.5-3 easily if you were doing partial boils.

I used to do partial boils on a flat-top electric stove. A had a problem because my brew pot was indented at the bottom - only the outer edge made contact with the stove. This was very inefficient at transferring heat to the pot. I got some thin (1/8''?) metal strips from the hardware store and placed them between the burner and the pot to increase the contact area. Doing this and the insulation let me get partial boils with no problem.

Back