Boiling using something other than the stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winedinethen69

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to homebrewing and currently just do all my boiling on the stovetop. I'm looking to get an electric (maybe even propane?) hotplate of some sort to do boils out in the garage. What do you guys use? Any brand names/model #s would be appreciated.

I use a blichmann burner.

10017.jpg

It's pretty cool, but I'll probably go with a jet burner next time, I want those BTUs.

Some other options:
Propane:
- Camp Chef burner - can be found for a bit under $100 and has useful legs to bring it to a height where you can run the wort off straight into the fermentor.

Electric:
- Various 3500W induction hot plates - need 230V supply and induction compatible pot.
- Various 1800W induction hot plates - need an induction compatible pot, and probably some insulation of the pot.
- Water heater type immersion elements, either installed directly into the pot, or on a removeable "heat stick" - up to 2kW on 120V, up to 5.5kW on 240V*.
- Blichmann Boil Coil - installed in the pot, up to 2.4kW on 120V, up to 5.5kW on 240V

- All in one electric brewing systems from Braumeister, Grainfather, etc. etc.

Both of the latter need some kind of control panel, and GFCI breakers/outlets installed. See the Electric Brewing subforum for details on all the electric options.

*all electric elements are specified at 120V/240V. They run at reduced power on 110V/220V.

If you can go in the garage, definitely go bigger than a hot plate. Full sized propane burner. If you can't, or don't want to go garage (or even if you'd rather brewing in the garage but still stay electric), check out the "Electric Brewing" section of the forum. An induction cooktop is one possible route, or using heating elements is another (the simplest being using a heat stick to supplement the stove). But a kettle mounted element is a great DIY solution that allows you to brew anywhere inside you want (assuming enough electrical capacity and ventilation for the steam).

Back