Boiling 7 gallons, bucketing 4.5gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this a lot of loss? I used to go from 7 gallons boiled to 5 in the bucket, but recently made two changes:

1) More vigorous boil
2) Started siphoning wort into bucket instead of just dumping all the crud in from the boil pot.

I'm now having to top off, and I don't like it:( Am I losing more liquid than normal now?

thats about what i get. i drain with a bazooka screen on my keggle. really depends on what im brewing though. i try to start with about ten gallons in my HLT just in case. water is cheap

I was having the exact same issues... I got totally fed up with it and started with 8 gallons at the beginning of the boil. Now I have over 6 (I usually shoot for 5.5) gallons of beer in the fermenter.

So, from now on I will start with 7.5 gallons; I don't know why it took me so long to learn my lesson...

Yeah, I'm maxed out on my boil pot at only 7.5lb capacity. I'd much rather run extra water through the grain than top off at the end. I guess I'll have to buy a bigger pot.

Back