Boiler efficiency is higher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
The last 3 batches I made I got 78%-82% efficiency, but Beersmith calculates my boiler efficiency at about 90% in each case.

Any idea what would cause the final efficiency to go down 10% from boil to post-boil volume?

Yup, hop/break absorbtion, dead space, and any place else that you lose a little wort before it makes it into the fermenter. I'm not a beersmith user but I would assume "boiler efficiency" is efficiency INTO the boiler meaning Preboil or Mash/Lauter efficiency. The plain old "efficiency" is actually brew house efficiency which takes your entire process into account including sugar loses between the MLT and Fermenter.

If you entered a non-zero number in the "losses to kettle trub and chiller" field in your equipment set-up, then efficiency into the boiler will be higher than efficiency into the fermenter. Efficiency into the boiler measures how well you are extracting sugar from the grains in your MLT. Efficiency into the fermenter is the "brew house" efficiency, which also takes into account equipment losses like kettle trub, chiller losses, etc.

BTW, you can also post BeerSmith question to the support forum on the BeerSmith website and Mr. BeerSmith himself will answer your questions.

Back