Boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Can I boil wort longer than an hour?

I started with 6 gallons of water in my kettle. After I added the malt extract, the fluid level is almost to the top of the kettle (almost 8 gallons). The directions say to boil for an hour. Since my kettle is so full, I was going to boil longer (maybe 2 hours) so it reduces down to the 5 gallon range. I will still just add the hops for 55 minutes and then 5 min for aromatics.

Will boiling longer hurt the wort?

It's perfectly fine to boil longer if needed to reduce the volume. Just be aware that it will result in a darker beer due to caramelization of the extract. It shouldn't have much of an impact on flavor, though.

My rough math suggests that 2 gal of LME is about 24 lbs. What are you making exactly?

Do you have another kettle to boil some of that wort in? Another container to save half the wort in and then do a second boil combining the two in the fermentor?

wow, what kit/recipe is this? thats a huge LME addition. hindsight and whatnot but it probably would have been beneficial to do some late addition with that much.

wow 24 pounds of DME in 5 gallons, that is in teh strong wine range of Specific gravity

Back