Boil time - newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spongebob2

Reaction score
First question to the forum pros & knows.
I just got a kit that is 6lbs. wheat DME & 1oz. of hops. Very basic.
Their instructions say for partial boil to add 1/2 the malt for 60min then hops at 20 min.
Why boil the malt for the extra time? - from reading here didn't think it was necessary.
Thanks, Robert

I will just boil for 5 or 10 minutes and then add the hops for a total boil time of 30 minutes or so. I did a dark pale ale and was doing shorter hop times and I boiled for 30 minutes total and it came out great. :rockin:

I will just boil for 5 or 10 minutes and then add the hops for a total boil time of 30 minutes or so. I did a dark pale ale and was doing shorter hop times and I boiled for 30 minutes total and it came out great. :rockin:

Just to clarify, boil half the extract, not all of it. Add the remaining half immediately after flameout, before chilling.

Just to clarify, boil half the extract, not all of it. Add the remaining half immediately after flameout, before chilling.

If you are doing a partial boil, I have had great success of not getting to dark on the lighter colored beers by doing about 1/3- 1/2 of the extract at boil, I just eye ball it, and rest at flameout.

Back