Boil rate of wort vs plain water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
I'll be doing my first all-grain this weekend, on my gas stovetop. Earlier this week I checked the boil rate, found that with plain water it's shy of 1.0 gallon per hour....maybe 0.9 gph. Would a mid-gravity wort be about the same, or somewhat different? If different, what's a good estimate?
Thanks!

I'd say it's going to be close enough to not worry about it. Heck, even a difference in humidity would technically effect boil off rate if you want to split hairs. Don't over think it. ;)

I did the same experiment with 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon pot, and lost 0.90 gallons/hour on my burner. I also measured the boil loss on the next four batches of beer and it averaged 0.87 gal/hr.

If you change the pot, burner, or strike water volume you may get slightly different losses but probably not very significant. For example, when I boiled 6 gallons or wort in an 8 gallon pot on the same burner I lost 1.0 gallons/hour.

TomVA

Back