Boil Over!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearsbrew

Reaction score
Any advice on preventing boil over? I just got through with my disaster of a boil and i lost about 3.5 cups of water/extract from a 1.5 gallon water and extract mix designed to make 6 gallons. To compensate for the lost extract i reduced the total brew size to 5 gallons. Thoughts questions Comments please...

Buy a new, clean spray bottle for $4 and fill it with water. When the boil looks like it's getting out of hand, turn the heat down and give it a couple squirts.

Watch it like a hawk. Don't cover the pot completely (or at all, if you can keep a rolling boil without the cover). Keep the aforementioned spray bottle at hand. Reduce heat at malt & hop additions.

And... Use a BIG pot. I use a 5gal kettle for 2.5 Gal boils. I still have to watch it at hop-in.

I found that the skimming off the hot break really helped in reducing boil over. The break prevents the molecules from escaping during evaporation. I took a stainless kitchen strainer and skimmed off everything I could just prior to boiling. When the boil started, boilover was not even a concern. It worked so well I was actually surprised at its success.

anyone have any thoughts on the reduction in batch size in proportion to the lost wort ...?

Use the spay bottle method and be very vigilant when adding extract, hops, moss, anything of that nature. I do 6.5 gallon boils in an 8 gallon pot and still manage to avoid boilovers. WHEW

The Pol

Everones advise is spot on, I started brewing with 3 gallons in a 14 qt (3.5 gal) pot! I found the most effective step was to skim the foam as you start seeing it build and a spray bottle if it starts getting out of control. Never had a boil over EXCEPT one time when I threw a cover on to see how fast it would start to boil over, I blinked and there was the mess...

I had less then 2 inches to the rim so I did have to watch for vigiourous boil rollovers.

I also heard throwing a penny or two helped, never tried it as the spray bottle is effective enough.

Heat control. I use a 5 gallon pot for 2.5 gallon boils. As soon as it starts to boil, I change the heat setting to 3-4 out of 10. This has worked so far. Just keep an eye on it, and if it starts to get close, just move it off the flame fora bit

Good advice Jay, when my brew starts to boil, that is when the hot break material gets about ready to overflow, I always reduce the burner to idle until I can get that hot break material to fall back into the brew.

The Pol

Well.... a watched pot never boils over. Usually people have a problem once they have to do something. Leave it and it will pick these few seconds to boil over. The sprayer really works. I have one of those power sprayers used for plants. Man.... works very well.

Back