Boil Over - Don't Let This Happen To You Home Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craft_beer_fan

Reaction score
Okay, so my buddies died laughing at me when they watched this video I posted to youtube. I was documenting my third batch of homebrew and the dreaded boil over happened.

Hope this puts a smile on your face; it did theirs. Don't let this happen to you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Everything looked so shiny right up until it blew up! Hops will always do that, so if you are anywhere near boiling over, it is imperative to lower the heat significantly then add hops, then resume boiling slowly.

...and brew outside. :)

Rookie move... Nice quality video though. What did you use to record that?

HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Everything looked so shiny right up until it blew up! Hops will always do that, so if you are anywhere near boiling over, it is imperative to lower the heat significantly then add hops, then resume boiling slowly.

Fortunately, boil-overs are self-limiting. They put out the fire all by themselves. :)

I think those are my exact words when that happened to me but mine was outside thank god! Wifey would have been pissed lol

The hop addition got me this weekend too, although your language was a lot cleaner than mine

Yep I lol'd. :D

I think it's far more funny to those who have experienced the same thing...which is probably most of us. Or at least those of us who dare to be honest. ;)

But what I want to know is... where are the wort's "eyes" that it can see when I turn my back to boil over. Perhaps if I can just find those pesky eyes and scoop them out with a spoon...

I've never had a boil over. The only close call I've had was adding DME. I've never seen a foam up on hop additions. I guess I've been lucky. :)

Fortunately, boil-overs are self-limiting. They put out the fire all by themselves. :)

Not on an electric stove my friend...had an episode many years ago, was like an out of control science experiment and went on a looooong time! The wort was cooked on the stove top like fired and burnt glass.

Funny video...I like how you put the lid on the kettle...that helped hahaha

After all these years I'll never forget the boilover from hell...with experience one learns to approach and regulate the beginning of a boil as you would approach a nasty mean horse that might kick you in the sack.

I am so sorry about your kitchen. If I did that in my wife's kitchen I would not only be banned from brewing in the house, I'd be banned from sleeping in the house too for a few days. Enjoy the dog house!

Get a spray bottle full of water to knock down the foam and add FWH slowly. I made sure to do that after I had a boil over on my second batch. Being the noob that I was, I dumped the full bowl of FWH all at once only to be met with a viscous boil over. That sucked. Haven't had any since

I have never had an issue with hop additions causing a foaming problem. Do you guys that have this problem get a good hot break? When I first start to boil the foam will come on like mad. I just watch it closely and control it with my regulator. I mean, I am encouraging the foam by turning up the gas flow but as soon as it starts to reach the top of the brew kettle I back off the heat until the foam subsides and then I do it again. After about a half dozen times of doing this the foam goes away. From this point on, I can boil to my heart's content without any worry.

In 1986 I had a boil over in my mother's kitchen. To this day, she still claims her stove is stained from it. Its not even the same stove anymore, but she loves to tell the story whenever she comes over and I am brewing.

Time for a larger kettle!

Get a spray bottle full of water to knock down the foam and add FWH slowly. I made sure to do that after I had a boil over on my second batch. Being the noob that I was, I dumped the full bowl of FWH all at once only to be met with a viscous boil over. That sucked. Haven't had any since

Capulin, you may want to research your terms a little...FWH is First Wort Hop, this hop addition gets added to the first runnings when draining your mash tun, well before you are even boiling. Not to be confused with First Hop Addition, which I don't know of an acronym for. :mug:

HAHHAHAHAHAHA

^ This ^

I was, at most, an 1/8 of an inch from that on my last brew day lol!! Put a spoon of irish moss in with about 5 minutes left, and instantly spiked about 6 inches, got it off the burner not a split second too long :D

Wow!

I cannot even imagine how sticky this was to clean-up! Wow! my spoon I just stirred my first brew with was sticky! :p

I'm a newbie around here & this video is a good reminder to me why I will never walk away from my boiling wort. ;)

Thanks for the great video!! :rockin:

Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: CHEERS! :mug:

That happened to me on a WHITE stovetop. The wort tuned into a baked-on layer of black awfulness. It took many, many applications of Easy Off to clean it up.

fermcap-s, reduce heat during hot-break/early hop additions, stir break back down into wort, spray bottle. Haven't had boilover but once in 15 brews using these methods (wasn't using any of them on that one).

Oiy! White has to suck!! I have a white stove right now!

Taking extra precautions so that my Wort NEVER Boils OVER! :eek:

lol you added 1 oz of warrior hops and OH S#!T... never heard of it.. i've heard of cat s#!t, somebody tried to mash some the other day

I came very close to this my first brew. Since SWMBO complained about the smell in her house my next batch was done on the side burner of my gas grill. I added the hops slowly this time and had no problems.

I have never had an issue with hop additions causing a foaming problem. Do you guys that have this problem get a good hot break? When I first start to boil the foam will come on like mad. I just watch it closely and control it with my regulator. I mean, I am encouraging the foam by turning up the gas flow but as soon as it starts to reach the top of the brew kettle I back off the heat until the foam subsides and then I do it again. After about a half dozen times of doing this the foam goes away. From this point on, I can boil to my heart's content without any worry.

I've had boil overs indoors, outdoors, and honestly, it's happened many times. When you're maxing out your kettle capacity on a batch, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of when.

That said, I've found (through much trial and ERROR) that a solid and complete hotbreak before adding the first hop addition will make this occurence far less likely (a boil over upon first hop addition). The only thing to make it even less likely than that is a bigger pot, which, because I'm functionally retarded when it comes to boilovers, is what I did. I now do my 5 gallong boils (7G preboil) in a 10G kettle and have plenty of headspace for a good healthy vigorous hotbreak.

This video, and that reaction are priceless. Thanks for sharing, and I hope it makes you feel better to know we've all had it happen at one time or another. Rookies and vets alike.

HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Again, this was my third batch...my first batch I was SO PARANOID of having a boil over. I had the femcap S, the spray bottle, all ready and nothing ever happened. However, I was boiling at about 213 F while this time I was boing at 215 F....what a difference 2 F makes! :)

BTW, I am planning to brew from now on outdoors. :) My wife doesn't care for the smell (even before the boil over and the hot burnt caramalized smell). I for one think there is no better smell than a boiling wort with a fresh hop addition!

I am thinking of going with the Hurricane Burner, any thoughts on this burner?

The hop addition got me this weekend too, although your language was a lot cleaner than mine

Yeah, it was probably a good thing I stopped the camera while I was cleaning up the mess. A lot more colorful metaphors were exiting my mouth while I was cleaning up. ;-)

The thing that I didn't mention in the video description is that, sadly, I had a spray bottle and femcap S on hand. I let my guard down after my previous two batches I never had a problem when adding the hops; obviously this time was a whole different story. :-\ Just goes to show that no two brews are ever exactly the same I guess. I am new to home brewing so I certainly learned a valuable lesson here.

I now have been banned from brewing in the kitchen so my next purchase will be a Hurricane Burner to brew outside. Oh well, at least I will hit my steeping and boil temps much fast then. :rockin:

Good news is I didn't lose much of the wort. I adjusted the top-off water to hit the O.G correctly. This batch has been in the primary fermenting bucket where the yeast have been highly active. Ready to rack this batch on Sunday!

Back