boil or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddykreuger666

Reaction score
well i dont wanna spend loads of money on a 5+gallon boiler and so i only have a 2-3 gallon 1. Could i just boil half ingredients and then switch and boil other half? this wud be cheaper for me

as im a noob i dunno wot that means. so do i just mix a bit of water with the malt ingredients and then add more boiled water wen i throw it all in the fermenter. also do i need any other ingredients to make a brew if i use an ingredient kit?

as im a noob i dunno wot that means. so do i just mix a bit of water with the malt ingredients and then add more boiled water wen i throw it all in the fermenter. also do i need any other ingredients to make a brew if i use an ingredient kit?

homebrewer_99 said:
You need to do more research before you start brewing.

I totally agree. It sounds form your posts that you have no idea how the process works, and while you'll find loads of information on this site, you need to research it further. Everything you've asked so far has been covered in here before. Search for it. Hate to be a jerk, but that's the way I see it.

freddykreuger666 said:

Go read this and you will learn the basics. http://www.howtobrew.com/

There are about 3 or 4 brewers that I have come to know through the Internet whom I trust implicitly. John Palmer is one of them. Howtobrew.com is the best free advice you are ever going to get in the realm of homebrewing.

Prosit,

Freddie,

I'm new to the homebrew game too. What I did was to start with ingredient kits. They have step by step instructions on what to do. I purchased a beginner's kit that had all the equipment I needed except for a brewpot. I bought a 4 gallon enamel stock pot for that.

Then I bugged a number of local bars for their empty bottles. I got 6 cases for about $6.

I have started drinking my 1st batch(pilsner), I bottled my 2nd batch last night(American Light), and have 3 more kits coming(Sam Adam's clone, IPA, and a stout).

By using these beginner ingredient kits, you learn what the actual cooking process is like. I figure once I have 5 or 10 kits done, I may go to extracts using recipes off this and other forums.

So far, I'd have to say the start of the hobby has started quite nicely. :D

I gotta agree with everyone else. im pretty new to this whole thing too. but i've been scouring the net and the bookstores and reading every piece of info on brewing i have come across. I have a 3" 3 ring binder with a sleeve and a half worth of paper that i've printed info from the net on brewing and ingredients. maybe im just anal about reasearching stuff, but when it comes to a hobby with this many variables, you have to. theres hundreds of different types of grains, hops, and yeasts, there hundreds of variables in your water source. theres just so much stuff you need to know about.

And yes, some of your posts have raised both concerns, and questions of your age. your making beer, the most your gonna get out of it for alcohol content is 25%. and honestly, its gonna taste like total ass!! My advice is to do some mo0re research, and stop thinking that this is gonna be a good way to get trashed for cheap. I dont know about everyone else here, but as for myself, i brew and drink beer because i love beer. i love the taste of beer. if i wanna get wasted, i'll drink some JD or Captains. I dont view beer as a drink to get drunk off of.

92greenyj said:
I dont know about everyone else here, but as for myself, i brew and drink beer because i love beer. i love the taste of beer. if i wanna get wasted, i'll drink some JD or Captains. I dont view beer as a drink to get drunk off of.

Amen Brother!!

ok ill tell u now that i aint 18 but who really cares. do i have to be 18 to buy all the equipment from my local hbs?

kiss my a**e u f*****g mug. i bet u sit on ur fat backside at ur computer all day long and dont go to work.

freddykreuger666 said:
kiss my a**e u f*****g mug. i bet u sit on ur fat backside at ur computer all day long and dont go to work.

on the contrary. i am a manager at a microbrewery/restaurant. I work 50 hours a week on the average. I'm sorry kid, but you need to grow up a bit. do you live in the USA? cause if so, its illegal to drink alcoholic beverages until you are 21. If you want to get tanked go find some bum to buy you some cheap colt 45s or st ides. Its obvious from your posts that you are not serious about homebrewing, or doing any of the research that a past time such as this demands. You're just looking for a cheap way to obtain alcohol until you are of legal drinking age. So, my advice is to stick to the soda pop until you're old enough to drink a real mans drink.

wow...

1st--I think the personal attacks against green are flat out wrong. If you want help, act like a man. I have a tendancy to treat butt holes they way they need to be treated. Usually they get a beat down, but you're too young for that. Lucky for you because I love a good fight. ;)

2nd--I started this hobby thinking that buying 2 cases of beer for $20 was going to be awesome. But there came a caveat. It's not just throw some crap in a pail and you're done. And the stuff I brewed is way better than anything I can buy in a store. I am learning to appreciate the finer things in beer as a key entree in a meal, and how to brew a great batch of beer. The taste is the thing, and the buzz is not a consideration. If you're looking to brew some Bud, or Miller, or Old Milwaukee, this ain't for you. My beer is old world beer, and it tastes GREAT.

3rd-- You may be underage, but let's remember the history of beer. In the day, even the kids had beer with dinner. My 14 year old gets to try my homebrews. I give him a short glass, about 4 oz, he calls it "liquid bread". Since I am a former chef/restaurant manager, my son, though young, has quite a good pallate. "From the mouth of babes..." Beer has a soul(unless it's from the big breweries). Learn to appreciate that soul, and I'll help you when and where I can. But if you're looking for a way to cater a party for some 14 year olds, you're in the wrong place. They will not not like stuff you make, even if it's as good as mine. Homebrew is too...natural, real, and made for dinner rather than a party.

To the rest...

I don't know why I typed this. The kid will probably never come back. But remember when we were sneaking sips or bottles of dad's Grain Belt or Schafer. That's where Freddy is now. We are all homebrewers by accident. Green and me are food service guys that cooking is 2nd nature to...why not beer too? But for you non-food service guys, it was about getting buzzed for cheap. THEN you learned, as I did, that beer has a life, that it has a soul, and that you appreciate that. Remember that Freddy is a kid, but he will be old enough one day, let's not look down our noses, let's nuture the love of great food washed down with great beer.

Scubadude said:
wow...
snip**

To the rest...

I don't know why I typed this. The kid will probably never come back. But remember when we were sneaking sips or bottles of dad's Grain Belt or Schafer. That's where Freddy is now. We are all homebrewers by accident. Green and me are food service guys that cooking is 2nd nature to...why not beer too? But for you non-food service guys, it was about getting buzzed for cheap. THEN you learned, as I did, that beer has a life, that it has a soul, and that you appreciate that. Remember that Freddy is a kid, but he will be old enough one day, let's not look down our noses, let's nuture the love of great food washed down with great beer.

very well said and very true indeed. I have an associates degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson and Wales University in Providence Rhode Island, and a Bac helors degree in Foodservice Entrepreneurship. Sure i got trashed in college, and the only beer i ever drank was budweiser. But then i learned better and like fine wine, a great beer can be as excellent, if not a better compliment to great food. it just irks me that this kid is viewing our hobby as a cheap, easy way to get drunk without having to find someone of legal age to purchase alcohol for him.

like i said...freddy will probably not come back. But green, you and I are cut from the same cloth.

I got my AS at Minnesota State. I also did a BA thing at UMKC for business administration. Then I became stupid...I hooked up with a chain of family restaruants thinking they would let me be the head of R&D. It never happened....15 years later...

By that time, I was so disillusioned that I quit the industry all together. I now do quality assurance for a pet food company.

After 6 months off of mass producing slop for the mob, I learned that I still enjoy cooking. It's been only the last 3 months or so that homebrewing popped up on my radar. I love it! I'm drinking one now!!!

think about yeh and ull figure out that the only reason drink beer is because it has alcohol in it. would you bother making/drinking it if it didnt have any alcohol in it?

Yes freddy, I would. Although at times I do tie on a pretty good buzz, I usually only drink 1 or 2 beers at dinner each night. I don't really get "drunk" except for maybe 3-4 times a year. But I have many friends over to my house alot. Lots of food, conversation, and beer flow. I said it before, I'll say it again. "Great Food, washed down with Great Beer."

I already have plans for trying a homemade non-alcohol root beer as well for my kids. I got the recipe on another homebrew forum.

Like green said, if all you want to do is get wasted, beer isn't the path. Vodka, gin, whiskey, they are the way to go. Drinking beer to get drunk is hard work, you can do it in half the time with hard liquor.

It takes 6 hours to prepare beer for me. 3 hours on the boil, 7 days in a fermenter, 3 hours on the bottling process, then the brew spends a month in the bottle. It's a pretty big operation, how do hide that from your folks? Or do they care? If they don't mind you brewing beer, have them help you.

They may enjoy the hobby too.

obviously me folks know and they also know tht its only a hobby and i wont get trashed all the time. maybe once a week or so. i just wanna make up sum recipes for a nice beer that i could fine tune. have some fun whilst doing it.

once again im going to echo scubadudes comments. (great minds think alike)
Yes one of the benefits of beer is alcohol. but trust me, when you get to be a little older, that becomes less important, unless of course your a total alchaholic. Getting wasted is all well and fun when your underage and its something your not supposed to be doing. but once it becomes legal, it kind of looses some of the fun. And trust me, i speak from personal experience on this one, getting wasted aint all fun and games. Last time i was in Cancun it took four mexicans, my best freind, and a wheelchair to get me to the hotel room from the bus stop where i had faqllen over in the grass puking all over myself. That is NOT fun.

I have a beer with my dinner, i have a beer or two to unwind and relax when i get home from work, (and since i work at a microbrewery, usually a beer or two before i leave). Of course, my tolerance is much higher now since i am a regular beer consumer, having at least two beers a day on the average.

Also like scuba said, homebrewing is a hobby of passion. it takes alot of time, alot of work, and alot of carefull calculation to get your brews just the way you want them. then you have to wait at least a month before your labors will bear any fruit.

Just keep these things in mind if you want to proceed. beer isnt just about getting wasted. thats what captain morgans or jack daniels is for

lol @ green!

Sounds like you hit the same bars I hit in Cancun last year. After closing down Senor Frogs, 50 people on the bus ride home sang a few verses fo "La Bamba" A guy had a guitar, and my boss asked him if he knew any songs. The guy jumped up and started doing "La Bamba". My boss used his plastic Senor Frog yards as drum sticks.

Nothing more hilarious than 50 drunks going, "LA LA LA LA BAMBA", then mumble the rest because they don't know the words... :D I got pretty trashed that night, but the rest of the week was spent looking for good restuarants. I found quite a few.

Scubadude said:
lol @ green!

Sounds like you hit the same bars I hit in Cancun last year. After closing down Senor Frogs, 50 people on the bus ride home sang a few verses fo "La Bamba" A guy had a guitar, and my boss asked him if he knew any songs. The guy jumped up and started doing "La Bamba". My boss used his plastic Senor Frog yards as drum sticks.

Nothing more hilarious than 50 drunks going, "LA LA LA LA BAMBA", then mumble the rest because they don't know the words... :D I got pretty trashed that night, but the rest of the week was spent looking for good restuarants. I found quite a few.

we had the all inclusive at the hotel. I didnt have a non-alcoholic drink all day that day. had a pina calata with breakfast and went from there. Closed out the Coco Bongo club, had 6 injectopr shots and a ton of other stuff while i was there. boy was that a mistake

Back