Boil keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
Today I received my sight glass, thermometer, and diptube and I'm in the process of building my boil keggle. My question is how should I install my diptube? Down the center of the keg or off to the side. I'm thinking off to the side brcause I'm thinking the traub would all go to the center of the keg. Either way I'm going to have to cut it down. Please help, I want to brew this weekend. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It depends what dip tube you purchases. Some are meant to go in the middle while other to the side. Personal I like a side dip tube..

It's a 5/8 diptube from brewhardware, it could go either way I just need to cut one side

I'd say to the side rather than the bottom. Mind where you cut though, it looks like it's goes with compression fittings, so one of the end might be dimpled and you don't want to cut that off. If not, then measure and cut away.

The trub does not stay in a cone... once the level gets low, the cone flattens out.
If you're concerned with trub, I would not use a dip tube... just a side port that is above the bottom radius (right where the sides start to be straight). Besides, if you're whirlpooling, the dip tube will inhibit that.
You can always tip it to get the last bit out, but if you make the port too low, you will get trub.

Back